Air pig on board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luke_gtr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi.
Names luke and I'm from Sydney.
Still very fresh to diving, enjoying it thoroughly and guzzling air(trying not to).

Looking to move down through the ranks.
Maybe one day even meet up with some fellow members?

Thanks, and have a great day!

Welcome. It is expected that you will guzzle air for your first hundred or so dives. Then all of the sudden, it is what you think it's supposed to be. Don't get discouraged, it's just how it works. Don't try gimmicks to force it, it will come with practice, like everything. And that whole thing your instructor said about being a natural at this? Yeah, we all are... :wink:

Welcome to the pond.

Welcome. It is expected that you will guzzle air for your first hundred or so dives. Then all of the sudden, it is what you think it's supposed to be. Don't get discouraged, it's just how it works. Don't try gimmicks to force it, it will come with practice, like everything. And that whole thing your instructor said about being a natural at this? Yeah, we all are... :wink:

Welcome to the pond.
I dont remember them telling me I was a natural :acclaim:

That’s what big steel tanks are for.
was considering going dual tank set up to stay down longer.
But, just need to do more dives and Kepler progressing....

My Oceanic DataMax Pro+ 2 Air integrated computer has a feature called air time remaining, and when I first descend that is what is controlling my dive time. It displays the lesser of whatever is controlling dive time: air, no deco, O2. Below is also a bar graph that shows estimated gas time remaining throughout the dive even when the main display is showing other data.

Often on descent I am panting from the exertion of gearing up and excitement of getting in and it will show a really short time left for my gas, so I glance at it and slow my breathing and suddenly that time expands greatly. It’s like biofeedback and a reward for breathing calmly. I find this feature really helps me to slow down and breathe better, maybe something like this would be a good feature for you in your dive computer. This is an older computer and is available for a lot less than a newer computer that would have the same features, however it does have a very aggressive algorithm. If money is no object, or if you plan to advance into technical diving, everyone is going to tell you to get a Shearwater.

One thing you may not have thought about is that it is very important that you also monitor your buddy’s gas, not just for his/her sake but for yours because if you run out of gas you may need more of his that he is used to reserving. Monitoring your buddy’s gas is a good habit to get into anyway.

Welcome and suck down as many tanks as you can

Relax and have fun. Many of us have had the same concerns. Diving gets better with every dive.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. A wonderful place to spend time when not diving.

My Oceanic DataMax Pro+ 2 Air integrated computer has a feature called air time remaining, and when I first descend that is what is controlling my dive time. It displays the lesser of whatever is controlling dive time: air, no deco, O2. Below is also a bar graph that shows estimated gas time remaining throughout the dive even when the main display is showing other data.

Often on descent I am panting from the exertion of gearing up and excitement of getting in and it will show a really short time left for my gas, so I glance at it and slow my breathing and suddenly that time expands greatly. It’s like biofeedback and a reward for breathing calmly. I find this feature really helps me to slow down and breathe better, maybe something like this would be a good feature for you in your dive computer. This is an older computer and is available for a lot less than a newer computer that would have the same features, however it does have a very aggressive algorithm. If money is no object, or if you plan to advance into technical diving, everyone is going to tell you to get a Shearwater.
Already have a scubapro m2 as my dive computer. Purchased at a decent price second hand. Has a lot of features which I hope to use some day.
I'm also a fairly big guy, and being fresh knew I would guzzle air. Just need to do more dives as practice!

Thanks all for the warm welcome and advice.
It's very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom