Air/Nitrox Fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of the 4500 storage cylinders, I recently aquired 3 of them very cheap.. 2 from a paintball shop one from an individual. 2 had air in them one was empty and just came back from a fresh hydro. the two with pressure had a smell to the air when released so I drained/filled/drained/filled until one was clean smelling the other still stunk. I puleld the valve and sure enough it had about 1/4 cup water in it and some corrosion in the bottom. So tumbling with some simple green and maybe some nuts/bolts for abrasion should be ok? the one with a fresh hydro.. should I pop the valve out of that one too or do they pretty much do a visual on those when hydro'd?? Thanks for all the advice.

While the hydro station is supposed to do a visual inspection, there is no guarantee that they actually do.

However, stinky air from paintball people is not unusual since those guys are a lot more lax about taking care of their compressor systems. Several shops/fields don't change oil EVER and the same with their filters.

I think getting all the cylinders cleaned would be prudent. At least hydro will rinse out the inside and dry the cylinder when done.:D

Most good hydro shops can do an internal shot blast and steam cleaning on industrial size cylinders. That is what I would do with any big tanks that are nasty inside. Then you should be good to fill them with clean E grade or better gas.

Back
Top Bottom