Air integration with free dive mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrentAF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,
Im looking for a new computer that is both AIR INTEGRATED and also has a FREE DIVE mode.
Since LP has great search filters, however they don't carry all brands, I use them as a starting point and brach out from there.
Currently i'm looking at the Oceanic OCi, Oceanic Atom 3.1, Sherwood Amphos, any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Also, for those of you that dive air integrated, do you still have a small SPG tucked away somewhere?
Thank you in advance

I've had an Atom 3.0* with AI for 2 years (~120 dives). I had an SPG as well, for a while. After enough dives with not even a hint of a problem from the AI, I finally took the SPG off my single tank reg set and replaced it with a good button gauge.

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

I haven't missed the SPG. The button gauge lets me verify cylinders are full without finding my computer and turning it on, as well as an initial check to make sure the AI and button gauge match (reasonably close).

I do keep my old SPG as a ready spare in my dive bag, just in case the AI craps out.

I use my AI with doubles, on tech dives, also. But, when I do that, I put the transmitter on my primary (right post) 1st stage reg. My secondary (left post) 1st stage reg still has an SPG on it, which is pretty standard for a tech configuration. I keep it so that if I ever have to shut off my right post, I can still use the SPG on my left post to monitor tank pressure. The AI would let me monitor pressure if I had to shut down the left post. Either way, the dive would be over, but I still like to be able to know my remaining gas pressure.

*the Atom 3.0 and 3.1 are identical except for the Buddy Check feature which the 3.0 has and was removed from the 3.1 because of a patent infringement lawsuit.

Before answering, I'm interested in why this question is posed specifically in the Technical Diving forum?

I'm similar to stuart.
I've been diving the aeris a300cs, which was sold to oceanic which was just sold to aqualung. It has has no transmitter problems, which is why, I believe, SW used their transmitters with the perdix AI.

I dove with the ai computer AND an spg for about one year, then after zero issues, I removed the spg on my rec set up. About that time I started to dive with a 40 cf "pony" as a back up, whether diving solo or with a buddy, that had a button spg only. I've recently put a transmitter on the pony as well as the button spg, and still have a transmitter on my back gas cylinder.

I have two transmitters. Both transmitters also happen to work with my new shearwater AI perdix. When in tec mode My intention is to dive using both transmitters, one on my main (right), and spg on left (sounds the same as stuart's set up). If I'm dragging the pony, then I also have the transmitter on that.

Last edited:
First. Sorry for posting in the wrong board, still learning my way around here. When i would sift through as a non-member I would mainly just use the search bar, there are just to many board topics to look through for specific pieces of equipment. Also I did search for this topic before I posted. Just the wrong board :(

Next someone on my initial meet and greet post mentioned the aqualung 450T, it has the features im looking for, but how is their customer support? I was considering Suunto for a while but ive heard some negatives about their support.

It's not the "wrong" board, but the advice you receive about AI is liable to go off on a big tangent where technical diving is concerned. :)

If you were thinking about tech diving in the future, the primary advice would be the directed to more suitable tech computers and less importance of AI as a feature. There'd also be some reasonable objections to even using current-gen AI for technical diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom