Air in Viking hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi:
Can someone please give me some insight on why I am having a problem with my Viking Drysuit. I tend to collect air in my hood (usually at end of dive). At first I thought I was exhaling thru my nose at times so I concentrated on inhaling/exhaling thru the regulator Problem did not go away.
I have also made sure my mask is under the attached latex hood.

Is it possible that the air is coming from my suit itself? I think the answer is yes. I fold the neck seal inwards.

I can furnish more details as necessary.

Thanks

I had a Viking Sport suit for 10 years. It had an attached latex hood, and I had the same problem.

While it may be your neck seal burping into the hood, the more likely culprit - at least with mine - was air leaking from beneath the mask at the corners of my eyes when I exhaled through my nose.

Try as I might, I could not stop myself from exhaling through my nose from time to time (I'd had a mask with a purge valve in it so it was sort of a habit). But I was also aware that the neck seal burped from time to time, especially on ascent. After awhile I had a cone head going - just like you.

The easiest answer would be to not exhale out through your nose! Another option is to replace your neck seal with a tighter neck seal.

But the most effective answer may be to simply install a purge valve in the top of your latex hood and you won't be bothered by the issue any longer.

Worked for me...

:wink:

Thank you for your post.
Well I am glad I am not the only person with this problem.

Since the problem usually occurs on ascent, you are probably right and its a drysuit burp (not f_ _ t). I'll look to see how to install a purge valve there; if you know of any good links, please post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom