Air in nitrox tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

castanagajt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Since I have purchased 8 lp steel 76's and these tanks were once designated for nitrox can I use air in these tanks once I get these tanks hydro'd and vis'd?

I apologize for the vague description it is colored white with the green nitrox stickers and a yellow/green knob to turn on the gas.:confused:

I have a pony that was O2 cleaned for EAN from the guy I bought it from, but I put air in it. The concern is making sure you don't put EAN in there without getting the bottles O2 cleaned.

The concern is making sure you don't put EAN in there without getting the bottles O2 cleaned.

This would apply to PP mixed EAN.....if filling with 'pre-mixed' EAN of 40% or less than the tank does not have to be O2 cleaned.

Never heard of an LP76. Maybe you mean LP72s?

Probably the OP isn't nitrox certified yet (otherwise they probably wouldn't have asked this.)

You would be surprised what nitrox certed divers ask----:rofl3:

If you are going to use them for air, it's advisable to remove the stickers indicating that it's a NitrOx tank. This is best with new used tanks, as you want to inspect UNDER them stickers for rust and damage. Heck, I know someone who found a BOLT ground flat under a sticker. The tank had been drilled to remove it from service and someone threaded a bolt with a bit of epoxy and expected that to hold. YIKES!

nope not certified for nitrox and I am debating is it worth for me to even be certified for nitrox. As for the tanks they are definitely 76's.. A few of the tanks had a manufacturer named scubapro and the valves are all from a company named beuchat. Strange tanks, indeed.

You would be surprised what nitrox certed divers ask----:rofl3:
yeah, I know...was giving the benefit of the doubt.
nope not certified for nitrox and I am debating is it worth for me to even be certified for nitrox.
I think it's a good thing to do sometime so you have the knowledge, even if you don't think you'll be using it soon. It would actually be good if they covered a bit of info in OW, as there are a number of things that are helpful to know even if you're not diving it (and you just ran into one of them.) It also reinforces some of the things you learned in OW, plus you'll have the cert if and when you want to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom