Air Fares - From The How Silly Can It Get Department?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to book flights from Lubbock to Los Angeles for Memorial Day Weekend, and - I really prefer to fly my regular airline for all the perks I enjoy, i.e. First Class Upgrades, Vip Luggage Check-in, 70# baggage allowance on domestic flights, flight changes up to 24 hours in advance at no charge, etc. So, I go to Delta's web site and book these flights for $378:

May 28: LBB 11:19am DFW 12:27pm
May 28: DFW 3:45pm LAX 5:07pm
June 1: LAX 7:10am DFW 12:25pm
June 1: DFW 3:35pm LBB 4:46pm

But I go to Continental's web site, as they code-share with Delta, and book these for $277:

May 28: LBB 11:19am DFW 12:27pm
May 28: DFW 3:45pm LAX 5:07pm
Continental flight 3625 operated by Delta Connection (operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines). Continental flight 4209 operated by Delta Air Lines.
June 1: LAX 7:10am DFW 12:25pm
June 1: DFW 3:35pm LBB 4:46pm
Continental flight 4019 operated by Delta Air Lines. Continental flight 3631 operated by Delta Connection (operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines).

Same flights, same crew, $101 cheaper...!! I lose some FF-miles, First Class Upgrades, Vip Luggage Check-in, 70# baggage allowance on domestic flights, flight changes up to 24 hours in advance at no charge, etc.

For the $101, I'll go for the perks, I guess, but does that not look odd...?

don

Don,

I had a similar experience with Northwest and Continental on flights from Detroit to Vancouver. Our entire group was on one flight but half booked with NW and half booked with Continental. & which carrier had the better price changed a few times during our booking period.

I purchased the tickets from one carrier but when checking in they allowed me get the frequent flyer miles for the other carrier.

This also happened on our flights from Detroit to Truk. (With lots of legs in between.) The whole trip was booked with Continental but all my miles went to Northwest per my request.

You might want to see if you can do something similar and thus get your perks at the cheaper price.

Paula

All I can say is amen for the internet. I remember the days you were at the mercy of travel agents or airlines to figure this stuff out (not that there aren't good agents that can find the best deal). Now with a little time you can find the best deals yourself. I travel quite a bit and it is amazing what you will find. Most recent example...

Singapore Airlines Portland to Chennai, India - $6,900 RT

Versus

Singapore Airlines SFO to Chennai - $4,399 RT
United Portland to SFO - $197 RT

By the way, I had to tell our corporate travel agent how to do this!

diver_paula:
I purchased the tickets from one carrier but when checking in they allowed me get the frequent flyer miles for the other carrier.

You might want to see if you can do something similar and thus get your perks at the cheaper price.

Paula

If I book with Cont, using my Delta-FF number, I can get the minimum FF-miles, 3,480. If I book with Delta on the net, as Platinum FFlyer, I get double miles plus 1,000 for booking on the net = 7,960. The 4,480 extra are worth money to me on future trips; I base my estimates on $15 per 1,000, so this would be a $67 loss of FF-mileage value.

On top of that, I lose "...First Class Upgrades, Vip Luggage Check-in, 70# baggage allowance on domestic flights, flight changes up to 24 hours in advance at no charge, etc." Those perks are worth $100 to me; I'm spoiled. (It was different when I didn't have money in bank, etc.)

Norda:
By the way, I had to tell our corporate travel agent how to do this!

Don't you think most people we work with day to day are underskilled...?

thanks folks, don

Don I guess you want me to comment on it. as far as people in first class what I see is they land only a few feet ahead of me and get out of the plane maybe a few minutes ahead of me. I dont know if there food is any better than mine? as far as the lounge stuff $100 will buy you alot of beer or tequila and whiskey outside the airport I'd buy steak and shrimp myself :). last minute changes and oversized bags is not my style anyway. I dont really fly enough Yet to see the advantage of FF miles but Paula has made a good point about it. Norda has a good point also
All I can say is amen for the internet.
All in All i want to get there safely and have the cheapest airfare i can find.

There are diffrent classes on every flight. X class, Z class Y class etc... There are a certain number of seats in each type of class. The cheaper classes usually get sold first, than the next highest & so on. These seats can be located anywhere on the plane (not 1st class) front, back, middle etc. It's hard to explain & even harder to understand. And I don't know why the airline decided to price seats like this. I do have people who come to the ticket counter to buy seats for the flight we are checking in. We charge for the most expensive class, on the day of travel. They have a fit because it is so high. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to tell them the price. Had one guy who flat out told me he wanted to haggle. That was my laugh for the day.:laugh: Haggle, haha, it still makes me laugh.

You have to understand a little bit about codeshare agreements and revenue management. Its all way too complicated to explain here but lets just say it really does make sense.

Kat:
They have a fit because it is so high. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to tell them the price.

Don't be. There is nothing wrong with charging a full Y fare for someone who shows up at the airport just before a flight. Instead you should be very professional and friendly. Sell (not order take) that ticket to the customer because God knows the airline industry is in the crapper right now and who ever you work for could REALLY use that revenue.

Thanks you two. I really do have a good understanding of Inventory Control, classes of fares, etc., but I do not know much about Code Sharing.

I've also flown on flights when I was the only passenger on the plane. That's gotta' cut into the cost per passenger mile thing, but the flights have to go when capable.

I hope Delta and Continental both make it thru the current hard times okay. This exact code share deal amazes me, but I'm going to book with Delta so I'll have all the perks.

don

:multi: I kept thinking - "Delta has always been a little conservative/slow about changes...?" So I waited. I hate waiting, as fares so often go up, but finally - they dropped $110 on my route! I jumped on it before they might change their minds! :jump013:

Now I gotta' get back and see if tickets for Florida have dropped for August. My daughter's family, sister, me =

don

Back
Top Bottom