Air consumption rates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught that SAC is pressure/time, PSI/min, and is cylinder dependent. I was taught RMV is volume/time, cu ft/min, and is cylinder independent. For me, both of these are normalized to 1 atm, the surface. Others were taught differently and/or use different or additional terminology.

Running through an example using the DiveNerd Sac Rate/RMV Calculator may help understand the way I see it DiveNerd - SAC Rate / RMV Calculator, Imperial Units

Last edited:
I was taught that SAC is pressure/time, PSI/min, and is cylinder dependent. I was taught RMV is volume/time, cu ft/min, and is cylinder independent. For me, both of these are normalized to 1 atm, the surface. Others were taught differently and/or use different or additional terminology.
When normalizing a Depth Consumption Rate (DCR) to Surface Consumptiom Rate (SCR) in either volume/minute or pressure/minute, you have to divide by the depth in ATA that it was determined from for a given tank cylinder used. Therefore your SCR will have units of either volume/minute * ATA, or pressure/minute * ATA.

Back
Top Bottom