Air conditioning, single phase, those who have a better grasp of marine electricity than I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No bet, I’m sure you’re right. The question wasn’t how is it, the question is why? I found an electrician who knew what a virtual ground is and why. I guess I’m going to have to go be nice.

What 2air said may be exactly correct. Someone hooked it up wrong, and it happens to work unless you turn the battery equalizer off (which isolates it from ground, and therefore the hull). And, it’s an aluminum boat, so maybe they didn’t want the common to go to hull..... which isn’t a problem if all of the conductors are connected to equipment properly.

So you knew the how, and you have a theory as to why; what is the solution?

I will enjoy reading about how you resolved the issue; whether your electrician resolves it or you do.

cheers,
markm

So you knew the how, and you have a theory as to why; what is the solution?

I will enjoy reading about how you resolved the issue; whether your electrician resolves it or you do.

cheers,
markm
It’s a wife issue. The electrical solution is clearly in the ABYC.

I'm a little late to your "party" but,,,you may need to have the hull attached for possible personel protection. With an above ground system you could possibly put the hull at voltage without realizing it. Thereby increasing electrocution possibilities to the crew if a cord or wire is miss handled. Grounding the hull would or should open a circuit breaker and or fuse and give the desired protection if a wire should possibly come in contact with it. The hull should however not be the neutral path but should be bonded.

It’s a wife issue. The electrical solution is clearly in the ABYC.

Yes, that is why I am so interested:)

mm

Back
Top Bottom