Air 2 with Miflex hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Diablo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need some help from any member that has done this switch before. I’ve read already a few posts on the subject but the answers aren’t very clear.

I’ve decided to use Miflex hoses with my Regs for increased comfort and weight savings.
From my understanding, the main difference between a Scubapro Air 2 and the normal inflator is basically the quick disconnect adapter that is quite larger and has no Schrader valve in order to provide increased airflow for the combined needs of breathing and inflating the BC.

So far so good.

I disconnected the Air 2 adapter in order to attach it to a normal Miflex LP hose as suggested but it seems that Scubapro’s Air 2 hose is no different from a normal BC hose… in addition the Miflex hose has quite an increased bore compared to the Scubapro’s hose (see attached).

upload_2021-7-9_16-11-13.jpeg

Theoreticaly this shouldn’t be a problem BUT I would appreciate if anyone has done this before and can verify it works :)

Thanks in advance.

AIR 2 hoses came in two basic setups.
Early versions where the QD crimp was directly on the hose.
The other (more sensible) assembly had the QD as a separate fitting. This fitting can be transferred to any second stage low pressure hose. If this is the type you have, then you are all set. Just find the hose length you need and screw the QD on to it.

Yes, I've done it before and can verify that it works. :)

Edit with a picture. Older SP inflators use the same male & female fittings as the AIR 2 . Pictured below is my hose/QD & inflator:

rubber bands on corrugated hose 5.jpg

I need some help from any member that has done this switch before. I’ve read already a few posts on the subject but the answers aren’t very clear.

I’ve decided to use Miflex hoses with my Regs for increased comfort and weight savings.
From my understanding, the main difference between a Scubapro Air 2 and the normal inflator is basically the quick disconnect adapter that is quite larger and has no Schrader valve in order to provide increased airflow for the combined needs of breathing and inflating the BC.

So far so good.

I disconnected the Air 2 adapter in order to attach it to a normal Miflex LP hose as suggested but it seems that Scubapro’s Air 2 hose is no different from a normal BC hose… in addition the Miflex hose has quite an increased bore compared to the Scubapro’s hose (see attached).

View attachment 670060

Theoreticaly this shouldn’t be a problem BUT I would appreciate if anyone has done this before and can verify it works :)

Thanks in advance.
I use this configuration, air2 with miflex. It works just fine.

You are correct that it is just a standard "second stage" hose. There is a special QD adapter that I think comes with the air2 (it's been a few years since I bought mine hence I might have bought separately and forgotten). The "power inflator" hoses with integrated QD have too small an opening for the air2. You've already got the correct hose.

The only other thing to know is that miflex hoses have a finite lifespan. If you bought a genuine miflex product, it will come with a pamphlet telling you that you must replace the hose after five years. Take that to heart, here is why: Hose Failure - Divers Alert Network
Basically, the hose will deteriorate (all hoses do) but unlike rubber hoses you don't get bubbles or any other warning before the problem. Chances are they'll actually last a lot longer than 5 years (maybe 10 or so?) but since you get no warning you've got to replace them well within the timeframe that they're definitely going to still be good.

AIR 2 hoses came in two basic setups.
Early versions where the QD crimp was directly on the hose.
The other (more sensible) assembly had the QD as a separate fitting. This fitting can be transferred to any second stage low pressure hose. If this is the type you have, then you are all set. Just find the hose length you need and screw the QD on to it.

Yes, I've done it before and can verify that it works. :)

Edit with a picture. Older SP inflators use the same male & female fittings as the AIR 2 . Pictured below is my hose/QD & inflator:

View attachment 670067

‘Thanks man, the Air 2 is brand new (used an Atomic SS1 previously) and installed in my (also new) Hydros Pro :)

I use this configuration, air2 with miflex. It works just fine.

You are correct that it is just a standard "second stage" hose. There is a special QD adapter that I think comes with the air2 (it's been a few years since I bought mine hence I might have bought separately and forgotten). The "power inflator" hoses with integrated QD have too small an opening for the air2. You've already got the correct hose.

The only other thing to know is that miflex hoses have a finite lifespan. If you bought a genuine miflex product, it will come with a pamphlet telling you that you must replace the hose after five years. Take that to heart, here is why: Hose Failure - Divers Alert Network
Basically, the hose will deteriorate (all hoses do) but unlike rubber hoses you don't get bubbles or any other warning before the problem. Chances are they'll actually last a lot longer than 5 years (maybe 10 or so?) but since you get no warning you've got to replace them well within the timeframe that they're definitely going to still be good.

Appreciate it and thanks for the tip, didn’t knew the 5 year lifespan thing as I’ve never used them before…

Just in case I wasn’t very clear, the hose with the smaller bore IS the one that came with my new Air 2 and it’s identical to the BC hose that came with the Hydros standard power inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom