Aiming to lift Steel DBL's and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ste Wart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My goal for this year is to put back on the 9 kg's (20lbs ish) I've lost over the past few years due to working full time as a dive instructor.
I'm now in the 2nd phase of the exercise plan. The first phase was designed to raise my fitness levels and increase mass. It also had to burn off a lot of the 'baleada' weight I gained on my stomach while working in Honduras.

Here it is:
Day 1

Superset

* Dumbbell Chest Press with Swiss Ball – Tempo: 3/0/3/0
* Push-Ups – 25 reps
* Rest: 1 minute
* Repeat: 3 sets for 12 reps

Superset

* Lat Pulldowns – Tempo: 3/0/3/0
* External Shoulder Rotations with Tubing – Tempo: 2/0/2/0
* Repeat: 3 sets of 12 reps

Cable Side Raises – Tempo: 3/0/3/0
Repeat: 3 sets of 12 reps each arm

Superset

* Straight Bar Curl – Tempo: 3/0/3/0
* Close Grip Bar Push-Up – Tempo: 5/0/5/0

Day 2

* Single Leg Squat – Tempo: 3/0/3/0
* Repeat: 3 sets of 12 reps each leg

Superset

* Balance Board Lunge – Tempo: 4/0/4/0
* 12 reps each leg
* Split Leg Box Jump – 30 jumps
* Repeat: 3 sets

Superset

* Jack Knife with Swiss Ball – Tempo: 2/0/2/0
* Swiss Ball Crunch – Tempo: 2/0/2/0
* Repeat: 3 sets of 20 reps

Day 3

Circuit

* Walking Lunges – 30 reps
* Push-Ups – 100 reps
* Swiss Ball Crunch – 50 reps
* 1-Minute Sprint at 80% THR
* Inch Worms – 30 reps
* Lat Pulldowns – 50 reps
* Stair Climbing – up and down one flight = 1 reps – for 20 reps
* Repeat: 3 sets

The key to this exercise is to notice the tempo (e.g 2/0/2/0) This means the the initial phase of the exercise should take 2 secs, with 0 sec rest and the 2 secs return. So you really have to focus on the lift as you're muscles are under constant tension. Took me about a week to guage this properly.
If this looks minimal wait; on workout days you begin with a 10 minute cardio workout and then to finish a 20 min swim or run ( I have an annoying knee pain so either swam or went used a rowing machine)
On non-weights days you need a 25-30 minute interval train. Running is recommended, but I used either a step machine or rower due to the knee problem.
Try not to spend more than 1 hour doing the workout as it will feel like a grind otherwise.

The results were amazing, after 6 weeks I can see heaps of definition and fitness levels are through the roof.

I've since moved onto this one, which is more for mass building and cuts right back on the cardio.

Day One Power Circuit
3 circuits of 10 reps per exercise
* Clean and Press
* Weighted Knee
* Dumbbell Weighted Step-Ups
* Pull-Ups
* Incline Push-Ups
* Triceps Dips

Day Two Chest and Back

Following Day One’s Power Circuit, you will focus on two body parts a day for the next three days. For this perform 10 reps for 4 sets, resting for two to three minutes in between.

* Incline Bench Press
* Pull-Ups
* Incline Push-Ups
* Incline Pec Flys

Day Three Legs

* Squats
* Straight Leg Deadlift
* Hamstring Curl
* Dumbbell Weighted Lunge

Day Four Shoulders and Arms

* Incline Biceps Curls
* Triceps Dips
* Lateral Raises
* Shoulder Press

Day Five Power Circuit
* Clean and Press
* Weighted Knee Raise
* Weighted Step-Ups
* Pull-Ups
* Incline Push-Ups
* Triceps Dips

I'm only 3 days into this one. At the moment I'm only doing 5 minutes warm-up cardio for the Power circuits. With the aim of doing a long cardio session on the weekend. A little extreme as it does push it 2 six days, but again I try to workout for up to an hour, so I don't dread going to the gym

Let me know what you think

~~ Stew

I've since moved onto this one, which is more for mass building and cuts right back on the cardio.

Day One Power Circuit
* Clean and Press
* Weighted Knee
* Dumbbell Weighted Step-Ups
* Pull-Ups
* Incline Push-Ups
* Triceps Dips

Day Two Chest and Back

Following Day One’s Power Circuit, you will focus on two body parts a day for the next three days. For this perform 10 reps for 4 sets, resting for two to three minutes in between.

* Incline Bench Press
* Pull-Ups
* Incline Push-Ups
* Incline Pec Flys

Day Three Legs

* Squats
* Straight Leg Deadlift
* Hamstring Curl
* Dumbbell Weighted Lunge

Day Four Shoulders and Arms

* Incline Biceps Curls
* Triceps Dips
* Lateral Raises
* Shoulder Press

Day Five Power Circuit
* Clean and Press
* Weighted Knee Raise
* Weighted Step-Ups
* Pull-Ups
* Incline Push-Ups
* Triceps Dips

I'm only 3 days into this one. At the moment I'm only doing 5 minutes warm-up cardio for the Power circuits. With the aim of doing a long cardio session on the weekend. A little extreme as it does push it 2 six days, but again I try to workout for up to an hour, so I don't dread going to the gym

Let me know what you think

~~ Stew

If strength and muscle mass is what you are after I would add more weight and do less reps. Instead of doing 4x10 or 3x10, I would do a 5x5 or a 4x6, especially on your main exercises (dead lifts, squats, shoulder press, bench press).

I see incline bench but no normal bench. I would add this. Add weight to exercises like dips and pull ups. When you do your cardio session I would focus on high intensity interval training. Do sprints and burbees, box jumps, etc.

Don't forget to eat a lot (preferably good clean food, lots of protein), also get a good nights sleep.

I'm eating 5 times a day. 3 meals and 2 protein shakes/smoothies. To add calories to the smoothies The contain not only protein powder but a tbls of Peanut butter and a few lugs of oil as well.

4-6 reps is really only for strength training and I've done a lot of that in the past, that's why I'm hitting the reps in the 8 -12 range as this is considered the best for growth.

Next month will bring a total change to the workout to 'shock' the body. Probably some intense 'boot camp' style work-out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom