AI transmitter on hose - leave transmitter O ring or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi

after two near misses of people using my transmitter as a handrail as they walked past my spot on a swaying cattle boat (totally ignorant of my beautiful nail polish artwork of course) I went ahead and finally ordered that short HP hose after 2 years of trying to tell myself it's not needed.

It arrived today and I popped it on, but now I wonder whether the O ring on the transmitter should be on (it's exposed and you can see it squished in the picture) or removed so the transmitter can meet the hose metal on metal instead, with the air spool doing the sealing. I assume it's redundant now, so I just want to go down the most reliable path.

Any thoughts?

Keep it as is (see picture) or remove it and go metal on metal?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 178
The transmitter and the hose were not intended to be used this way.

If the o-ring is “squishing out” then there is a very good chance it might not hold the high pressure very long.
The sealing portion on a 1st Stage is shaped differently than a hose, surface vs inside a hose connection.

I am thinking you might have the best luck using a spool.

I understand you frustration with inconsiderate people mishandling, or for that matter touching your gear. It makes you want to carry a sharp stick and poke them with it when they get to close

I am thinking you might have the best luck using a spool.

Yeah I've got a spool in there anyway (the design with the shoulder in the middle), so wondering whether it's best practice to remove that O ring or leave it in.

Yeah I've got a spool in there anyway (the design with the shoulder in the middle), so wondering whether it's best practice to remove that O ring or leave it in.

You have to have an o'ring but it can't be squished as it appears in the picture.

You have to have an o'ring but it can't be squished as it appears in the picture.

The way the hose meets the transmitter, any transmitter-side O ring will always be squished and visible.

So remove it and rely on the two tiny O rings on the air spool, tightening the hose/transmitter metal to metal instead?

The way the hose meets the transmitter, any transmitter-side O ring will always be squished and visible.

So remove it and rely on the two tiny O rings on the air spool, tightening the hose/transmitter metal to metal instead?

I can't tell you now. I have to get home tonight to take a look at how my transmitters are connected to their respective hoses and tell you.

If either of the spool o-rings fail that o-ring is of no use, but if it makes you feel better leave it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom