Aggressor liveaboard or Itza/Huracan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMGinger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are making our first trip to Belize in January and I was looking for some opinions on whether or not the liveaboard is worth it or if we may be better off staying on land.

Based off @Trailboss123 report on the Aggressor III I am somewhat hesitant on booking and wondering if I might be better off staying at one of those dive lodges.

Thanks!

Everyone has different opinions about any dive destination, and different priorities in what they are looking for. There are a number of things to consider, but I myself would 100% choose a liveaboard in Belize (though I would go with the Aggressor 4.) Not sure what @Trailboss123 said specifically that concerns you, or what you are looking, for that matter.

Trailboss123 essentially confirmed previous observations: remote atoll sites are much better than the near the shore

Fair enough, I should probably take into consideration @Trailboss123 dive count (and all other trip report authors) when reviewing, given my experience I am likely to perceive the dive sites differently than others who may have already logged dives around the globe. I think I'd like to do the liveaboard as I quite enjoyed the Spirit of Freedom liveaboard on the GBR.

Itza and Huracan are a little more "rustic" and I would label Huracan as an eco lodge. We enjoyed our recent stay at Huracan and the diving was very good. Be aware that Huracan sits inland and there is no air conditioning, the fans they had were poor and the nights were pretty hot. You can read some recent reviews on Huracan here on this site and see some of my comments to those. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Huracan, but a few minor improvements would go a long way in making things more comfortable. I personally would be a little concerned with Itza and it's dive operation right now. It appears they are in the process of establishing, or re-establishing, their dive program and I've seen some reviews about boat issues, equipment issues, etc. While we were on Huracan we dove with Elvis for part of the week who was the dive master from Itza. He was great, but of course we used Huracan's boats and boat Capt. I would ask a lot of questions about boats and dive staff/equipment before I'd consider booking there. Of the two I would go with Huracan. Another option, depending on what you are interested in, would be Turneffe Island Resort. You primarily dive Turneffe but on the Blue hole day you get two other dives, one off of half Moon and the other off of Long Caye, in site of Huracan Lodge. TIR runs a great operation, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. We've stayed three weeks there in the last four years. They often run a special, which I think is still currently on, that is a pretty good discount for bookings until the middle of December.

I can't imagine preferring a land based op to a live aboard in the same area. Liveaboards will give you many more dives with a fraction of the hassle of dealing with equipment, transportation, etc. While there might be hiccups from time to time on individual boats, I'm perfectly comfortable going to the Agressor site and booking a trip with them anyplace in the world, sight unseen.

As an FYI to anyone following this thread...

My Belize Aggressor trip report had nothing to do with comparing a liveaboard to a land based dive vacation in Belize. Apples and Oranges. Here is what I will say in reference to this thread--

Was the diving "on my Aggressor trip" at Lighthouse Reef, Long Caye, etc.. better than the diving at Turneffe reefs -- YES!
Would I stay out there at Huracan or Itza Lodge for a week or more, just for the better and more accessible Lighthouse Reef diving? NO!

Everything I know about the experience of getting to or staying at either of those locations for a week or more would not outweigh the additional days of superior diving (for me).

As with any vacation or dive trip, you have to consider the pro's and con's of many things. If I ever go back to Belize for a dive vacation, it will be on one of the Aggressor boats. Sorry if I confused anyone with my trip report. I didn't intend to. It was just a trip report of my experience on the Aggressor 3. I did a lot of research and decided long ago that Belize was best experienced on a liveaboard (for my personal preferences).

All the best!

Just to clarify, the Belize LOBs spend their week diving the "remote atolls" of Long and Half Moon Cayes which are part of Ligthouse Reef. They moor on top of the best dive sites. You can not get any closer than the back of the boat.

Every morning at breakfast on the LOB you can look out and see Huracan and Itza on Long Cay - or you can sleep in until the LOB has moored at the next dive site.

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are making our first trip to Belize in January and I was looking for some opinions on whether or not the liveaboard is worth it or if we may be better off staying on land.

Based off @Trailboss123 report on the Aggressor III I am somewhat hesitant on booking and wondering if I might be better off staying at one of those dive lodges.

Thanks!
What part of @Trailboss123 review makes you hesitant about the LOB?

What part of @Trailboss123 review makes you hesitant about the LOB?
I think it might have been my references to what I considered poor diving conditions and experience at the Turneffe dive sites. I think they are wondering if it is better to stay out at on of the land based lodges on Long Caye, in order to have access to the nicer dive sites all week. Assuming that is what prompted the question, as I mentioned previously, I wouldn't recommend it and I feel the best way to dive Belize is via liveaboard (for what floats my boat).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom