Agency used for solo certification?

Which agency did you use for your solo certification?

• SDI

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • PADI

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • SSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IANTD

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • CMAS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • None, but I solo dive

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the PADI card though the course was taught with SDI materials. I've not had anyone question the cert, but I know the ops policy in advance and come rigged appropriately. I also show it for pony rig rentals for shore diving while dive traveling. I guess I technically don't need it for what amounts to a reg & tank rental, but it avoids the stink-eye while vacationing. :)

That said, I enjoyed the class. The instructor made it quite "challenging." :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I was being flippant. This agency stuff is tiring. If one wants training one should seek it without needing some sort of childish certificate.
Certs and agency come into play for a few things because 'their pond their rules'.

Disparity has has been reported on acceptance of different solo certs. So 'this agency stuff' has relevance, if you want to solo in their pond or the widest variety of ponds.

Certs and agency come into play for a few things because 'their pond their rules'.

Disparity has has been reported on acceptance of difference solo certs. So 'this agency stuff' has relevance, if you want to solo in their pond.
Solo diving is a fake specialty. We are always solo diving. When boat diving I usually do not accept a stranger as a 'buddy'. Most of the diving I do from shore, so I'm not in their dictatorial pool.

Solo diving is a fake specialty. We are always solo diving. When boat diving I usually do not accept a stranger as a 'buddy'. Most of the diving I do from shore, so I'm not in their dictatorial pool.
Excellent for you not being in their dictatorial pool. Carry on outside their pool and without any fake specialties.

Some would like wider options.

Excellent for you not being in their dictatorial pool. Carry on outside their pool and without any fake specialties.

Some would like the widest option.
I agree. We should not be subjected to the unelected tyranny of agencies.

I was being flippant. This agency stuff is tiring. If one wants training one should seek it without needing some sort of childish certificate. In any case solo diving is not a specialty. It is the essence of diving. All diving is, in the final analysis, solo.

AG...

Up until two years ago...until I put a stop to it...I spent 13 years diving with a ''primary'' partner who was totally dependant on every move I made...up to and including...not understanding his own computer...because after-all I understood mine...and we were always together...

He continually bragged...oh I have the best dive buddy...he does everything...all I have to do is show up...

The things we put up with for ''friends''...

I'd have been much safer diving solo...and as you've stated...in the final analysis...I was...

Best...

Warren

This seems to be Jersey boat thing. I’ve had people outright refuse to be buddied up and I’ve agreed in advance to do our thing once in the water. I prefer to let the crew know, so there is no expectation of responsibility for the other diver.

I did SDI for a couple of reasons. their requirements were far more stringent than PADI and I wanted a serious training, not just something I paid for. Also, the LDS training was between a PADI place that was mostly a rubber stamp (pay your money and get the card) and a SDI place that sent you to further training before they woud consider a card.

Since it was my life I figured the card was secondary to real life saving training.

I have the PADI card though the course was taught with SDI materials. I've not had anyone question the cert, but I know the ops policy in advance and come rigged appropriately. I also show it for pony rig rentals for shore diving while dive traveling. I guess I technically don't need it for what amounts to a reg & tank rental, but it avoids the stink-eye while vacationing. :)

That said, I enjoyed the class. The instructor made it quite "challenging." :bounce::bounce::bounce:
PADI card with SDI materials? Isn't somebody in trouble?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom