Agency used for solo certification?

Which agency did you use for your solo certification?

• SDI

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • PADI

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • SSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IANTD

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • CMAS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • None, but I solo dive

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo vs. Deep I view as two separate things. Years ago I wondered how DMs could lead dives below 100' without having the Deep Cert. In recent years PADI added a deep dive component to the DM course. Not sure if it's just one dive (vs. the deep cert.), but I think so. So I guess my question about leading 100+ dives without the cert. may still apply.
Again, could be two separate things as a DM with out Deep could just lead dives above 100'.

45 years ago my brother and I went to a local beach with a single 72. a spiro 8 and wet suit. I dived first and then gave him the gear and he dived. We’re still diving solo but at the time didn’t know it was solo diving.

Did SDI Solo Diver in 2012. At the time, options were SDI Solo and PADI Self-reliant. The former said 'solo' and there was a manual, so I could study in advance and show up for the class with the head knowledge in place, and do the dive training itself.

This let me solo dive at Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort, a quarry near my home, useful for 'staying wet' once in awhile, and trying new gear.

Solo cert. was needed to rent a tank for soloing with Sweet Bottom Dive Center in St. Croix for a Davis Bay dive. I presented the card to Buddy Dive Resort on a Bonaire trip since I asked to rent a pony bottle from them. I don't think I would've needed a solo card for solo diving in California off a Truth Aquatics boat; California dive culture seems to expect and recognize personal responsibility more so than some places.

Good to see more agencies offering solo training/certification.

Richard.

I remember when you couldn't discuss solo in the open forum.

I started diving solo, one set of gear between my "instructor" and myself, the only time we dove together was to practice buddy breathing on a double hose. Probably had 20 more dives before my first buddy dive. The majority of my dive have been solo ever since.

So far I haven't had a problem solo diving without a cert, but i don't get out of my area much any more, and around here they either don't care or are used to me.

I remember when you couldn't discuss solo in the open forum.

As soon as the agencies made money on solo classes, the stigma disappeared.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom