After ReActivate, what next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BearguyVA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I was originally certified almost 30 years ago... basic Open Water through NASDS (now part of SSI.) As much fun as it was, I never had the money to follow it up any. Let's face it... the Chicago area isn't exactly a hotbed of diving activity, LOL! Since becoming disabled in 2016 (back and leg issues) I thought that was it... never again.

These days I'm in northern Virginia, not too far from DC. I found a group near me called Patriots for Disabled Divers and they've been great. I'm currently working on my PADI ReActivate program and I'm remembering how much fun it was all those years ago. Actually had an emotional moment at the end of the first pool session... all those years of "never again" and I frickin' DID IT!!!

Question is... after that, then what? Seems to me like Florida would be nice and warm (maybe not this time of year) and hopefully I'd be able to do some dives in just trunks & t-shirt, not dealing with a wetsuit. The flip side of that is... how the heck does one get back on the boat? I know stairs are darn near impossible; not sure if I could manage trying to climb a ladder. My instructor suggested maybe Disney's DiveQuest program if they open it up again...

I'll be talking to my instructor / shop when I get closer to finishing, but thought maybe others would have some suggestions as well. Thanks!

A shore dive at the Blue Heron Bridge maybe? Smalls steps would be a best approach. Maybe try a snorkel tour somewhere first and progress from that?
Ask around and some one who knows the place better than me may comment about entry/exit at Blue Heron Bridge.
You may be able to remove your gear in shallow water and get assistance to get out?

I would ask the dive shop.

Some boats are well equipped for disabled divers. I saw people without legs getting back on the boat. Remove equipment in the water helps a lot, of course

@Manatee Diver

He’s newly cave certified and happens to be missing one leg below the knee. He lives in FL and might be able to provide some info.

With back issues getting out of the water with gear is probably your biggest issue, particularly with boat diving that is the most common form of diving in Florida. Taking your gear off in the water is probably the best way to handle it, sidemount is another option. Check with the crew to see if they can accommodate you, most will, though some charters do have a policy that the deck crew are not allowed to enter the water except for emergencies.

And there will be limits of conditions that you can go out in, I've sat out dives simply because I didn't have confidence that I could safely return to the boat.

Trunks and T-shirt, depends on your cold tolerance. I was in the Keys in February, all the locals like myself were in thick wetsuits and even a drysuit or two. Some of the vacationers were in rashguards.

I agree with Manatee Diver - the best option may be to take your gear off in the water if you are uncomfortable with ladders & stairs. As an fyi, I fractured T6&7 almost 40 years ago, had an Achilles replacement about 10 years ago, and a knee replacement 2 years ago - these slowed me down but never stopped me from diving. (Next up is my hip)
I moved from Fredericksburg to Port St Lucie last year after spending the past 10 years going back and forth to So Fla for diving, vacations, etc., and every boat that I have been on has always been willing to help with gear - just let them know beforehand (and take care of them afterwards!).
I'd also suggest checking out the boats before you book anything - I've always found a "Christmas Tree" ladder (one central spine, like climbing a tower) much easier than an enclosed ladder. Also check the weather and marine forecast - I'm good up to 4 ft seas, but anything over that is difficult. Blue Heron Bridge is always a great option.
As for wetsuit vs t-shirt, again it goes to your cold tolerance - I'm 6'1", 250# (on a good day) and I typically wear shorts/bathing suit and a rashguard; depending on the time of year, the water temp can be in the low 70's or mid 80's. The only time I've used a wetsuit was in April.My wife wears a wetsuit all of the time!
Feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions, and make sure you check out Coral Edge Adventures - biggest shop around!

KevinL

Check with Rainbow Reef!

They have instructors who specialize in adaptive diving, have worked with DiveHeart and veterans' groups before, etc. I imagine that they'll be able to talk you through options that work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom