Affordable UW Camera Solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I have Canon S500 that I'm considering buying their UW housing for to take with me on an upcoming diving trip in about a week. However, I've been hearing reports of occassional flooded housings and that is getting me a little spooked as this will be the only camera I'll have on this trip.

So, I'm wondering if there are affordable UW cameras out there which are either disposable or cheap and take decent pictures. I realize that these options may carry the same risk of leakage, but I'm thinking that it might be a better approach than worrying about my Canon.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go with the Canon housing?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

If you want good quality then this is a no brainer, buy the housing. I have used, and seen others use, the disposablesand they are ok for snorkeling but not for diving. Also most aren't rated for much more than 30ft.

Get the housing, much better pictures. You can always take the housing down with a weight and some paper towels inside for the first dive. Then you'll know it will be safe for the camera.

Yup, bite the bullet. Get the housing. Be meticulous in your oring maintenance. Accept that it isn't so much "if" as "when" a housing will flood even on the most diligent of shooters. Insure the camera if it's more than you are prepared to pay to replace it.

Remember, flooding is just one more risk you already have when taking a camera around - we accept without thinking: dropping,losing, getting stolen, spilling coffee on it,banging it on something etc :wink:

There's no question wether you should get the housing or not. You get way better pictures with your canon than with those disposables. Remember that you need quite a few of those disposables and making pictures is quite expensive at least over here one has to pay quite alot for them trying to find something else than blue in your pictures. But if you go digital you can edit your pictures by yourself and get much better quality. I have to warn you though - you mite get hooked :) Happened to me...

Back
Top Bottom