Affordable CNC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice.
Have you threaded them up and see how they work for real?
Without going all the way back to the start, I thought you were doing a full backplate?
Did you find an affordable shop to cut it out? What did you use?
How did you finish it?

@broncobowsher
Posting picture with threaded harness of 3 different softnesses.
The real test would be the wet one.
The original post was about SM, not BM.
Ordered from Protolabs, SS 304, gauge 13, deburring included.
Surfaces are smooth but edges are somewhat sharp. Will apply Emery cloth as suggested.
threaded.png

I have design of a SM lumbar plate and would like to have it cut from SS plate, 166 x 117 x 2 mm. Asking for suggestions where to start looking for affordable CNC. Thank you.
@broncobowsher
Surfaces are smooth but edges are somewhat sharp. Will apply Emery cloth as suggested.
View attachment 704027

Nice job with you diy SM rigging design & fabrication! I’m just learning about SM and would love to know more about the origin of your design and how the entire rig works/goes together. I’d love to see some pictures of your finished product if you have them.

@broncobowsher
View attachment 704027

Looks nice! What was the ballpark cost to get those cut?

@Doctor Rig
There is a great resource about all things SM, including DIY:
I decided to design my own plates with the following considerations:
  • allow webbings of different softness while keeping option of having continuous one
  • use three slots so the webbing locks itself without additional triglides
  • avoid making hole through the webbing and bolting it to the top plate
  • easy detachment of the wing for travel
Besides, it was fun to learn Autodesk Fusion 360.

Nice job with you diy SM rigging design & fabrication! I’m just learning about SM and would love to know more about the origin of your design and how the entire rig works/goes together. I’d love to see some pictures of your finished product if you have them.
@Doctor Rig
There is a great resource about all things SM, including DIY:
I decided to design my own plates with the following considerations:
  • allow webbings of different softness while keeping option of having continuous one
  • use three slots so the webbing locks itself without additional triglides
  • avoid making hole through the webbing and bolting it to the top plate
  • easy detachment of the wing for travel
Besides, it was fun to learn Autodesk Fusion 360.
Thanks for the info!

After doing a quick read, I was initially surprised you used 13 ga. SS, as that is pretty beefy for the expected loads. Then I looked at some the gauge of SM hardware at DGX and saw they are even thicker. Is this a means of adding some weight to rig (reducing req’d lead)?

Have you decided what wing you’re going to use?

@Doctor Rig
The conversation drifted toward making a rig so, maybe, change of the title is due.

Disclaimer: I am not SM expert and have no experience building rigs. Please take my opinions FWIW.

I have XDeep drop D-rings (you can see them in the picture above) and asked for the closest gauge when ordering plates. I doubt the difference in thickness of the pieces of such size would affect the weight much. In fact I decided to cut out spaces to reduce travel weight a bit, minimize places where webbing can retain salt water to prevent corrosion and, most importantly, because it looks pretty.

There is a wing made in China that is cheap copy of expensive Razor bat-wing without double bladder. Couldn't find something similar stateside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom