Aesthetics in a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes what we perceive is 180° off from correct.

Such "pipes" should never be "horizontal", they would be prone to collect moisture.

If you live somewhere where the outside air temperature actually approaches the dewpoint in the grade E air, I'd advise you to move away. To Roatan, perhaps.... :)

Though not every one likes the same, I think that general rules apply :
Order
Light
Cleanliness
Good maintenance
Professionalism
But all this goes to hell if the attention is bad, always there is not what I looking for (gear, travel, courses, information), tardiness (I hate this !).
On the contrary, if a dive shop has good attention, punctuality, well provided, the rest of the things, like order, light and maintenance are secondary in importance. Cleanliness and professionalism are always a must !

I suppose my preference of dive shops that look more like diving lockers than REI comes from experiencing incompetent staff. With very rare exceptions, the shops with high overheads are staffed with people who could only act “that way” because they are constantly pressured to make sales. Unfortunately, their idea of sales skill is to sell a $2,000 regulator when all you want is a can of wetsuit cement.

Nobody likes filthy, but I want it dirty and disorganized enough to show they are busy and not staffed with people with too much time on their hands.

If you live somewhere where the outside air temperature actually approaches the dewpoint in the grade E air, I'd advise you to move away. To Roatan, perhaps.... :)

I have tried that. Plastic, even PVC pipe rusts. No joke.

Thx Aziz...you are more then welcome to dive with us when you are Karachi. We just started out this season, currently no major manufacturer distributorship is held. Just our own gear inventory for students training use and some basic stuff like mask, snorkel etc for sale. Our priority is quality of service and knowledge we deliver to our students. It also gives us an edge on giving our students fair unbiased advice on gear purchase instead of focusing on "selling our" inventory.

The appearance of the dive shop doesn't matter to me. What matters is the counter guy treats his customers with respect and doesn't have a arrogant attitude. I use to go to one shop, the owner was actually waiting on me, I was about to make a big purchase. I'm an,over 60 women about to make my 1000 dive. Malibu Barbie came into the store, the clerk left me and went to help her. He lost out on a nice sale, new Dive Rite BCD and new computer. Other thing that is important is the dive shop guy knows the equipment he is selling. Before Christmas I was looking for new pair of fins, I asked about the articulated fins. All he could tell me was that everyone likes them, couldn't tell me why. I try to support my LDS when ever I can unless their prices are completely out of line.

Back
Top Bottom