Aeris 500 AI - stuck in a mode I can't identify = computer problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all

I have just received a second-hand Aeris 500 AI console, and was trying to access the settings as instructed in the user manual (to switch to metric / check the battery) when I ended up in a mode I cannot identify and that I cannot seem to be able to exit - I've tried different button combinations to no avail.

I hope this is not a malfunction...

I've attached a screenshot of the mode, the 0:00 on the left is actually blinking, along with others. The unit has been like this for over an hour.

Would anyone familiar with this computer know what this is and how to exit this mode? I've gone though the user manual but can't seem to pinpoint this display. I hope it's not a malfunction - I haven't dived with the computer.

It looks like some kind of logbook entry, but the manual says that it should exit this after 2 minutes if no buttons are pressed. The unit has been like this for an hour. I've tried long and short presses, combinations etc but I'm still stuck with this 0:00 flashing mode....

shouldn't it be turning off?

this is very strange. I hope it's not broken as shipping it back across the Atlantic isn't going to be cheap.

thanks in advance for your help

Ben

Last edited:
I have another question (if the unit isn't fried, that is...).
How does the quick disconnect work in regards to soaking the computer? Must the HP hose must always be left on when soaking to rinse or can it be removed safely?

thanks

ben

Ouch... I was just told that unit is showing depth on surface which is consider to be self-diving because the unit power circuit board low pressure transducer is defective and that this would require a full service and calibration :(
there goes my dream of a cheap air-integrated back-up for my oceanic computer...

now I'm stuck with trying to reset it by removing the battery or sending it back, I guess....

Last edited:
remove the battery, soak in fresh water, dry, and test it one more time before you give up on it. it seems to be a common issue that the PPS computers have that can be due to salt trapped in the depth sensor sometimes.

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try. If it does reset, do you think it's worth keeping the unit?

It just went into dive mode when I was trying to switch it to metric at home, and it was working well when the vendor had tested it apparently, so I'm a little afraid that it might be too much of a liability to dive with...
It's a back-up computer, but I was really looking forward to the AI functions...

i wouldn't be too concerned unless if it doesn't go away. if you run two computers, it makes it easy to do a sanity check between them.

Ok, didn't get very far. I couldn't open the unit - I tried unscrewing the two screws to remove the compass and couldn't find an allen/ hex wrench that fits.
I think it's because my tools are in metric and a 3/32 inch is equal to 2.4 millimeters. 2.5 mm is the standard here - Not sure I'll be able to find this size in Europe - will check out the hardware store tomorrow... might have to order something from the UK... headache...

fingers crossed till then, I guess.

Just wondering, isn't the computer supposed to end this dive at one point :wink:? What's strange is that it's giving me a reading of 63 feet (whereas where a little over seaslevel here).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom