Advise needed for Canon user

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceClaase

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi
I have a Canon 450d with an 18-55 mm in a sea & sea housing with a flat port.
I am a total amateur and would like to take better pics.
What would be the advatages of going to a dome port ?
Can I use a close up filter in the dome with the lens that I have ?

I was just thinking it would be cool to have some variation from wide angle on one dive to being able to focus a little closer on other dives. This without going to the expense of different ports and lenses etc - seeing as i am just an amateur.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Lance

I think the standard would be to go to an 8in dome and make a decision on a possible diopter (which would allow closer focus) to sharpen up the edges. Looking at Ikelites charting (I know you have sea & sea) the state a diopter (+2 close up lens) not required but may improve edges: Canon SLR Port Chart

The reason for this can be seen here: Dome Ports and Wide-Angle Optics | Underwater Photography Guide
(Why re-write the book when someone else does it so well...also a great resource for all UW stuff)

That being said, I have helped a few people that have that lens both canon and nikon, both with and without strobes and with and without diopters. In my opinion, the image quality is not as good as using a true wide angle (10-22 etc..) or fisheye (Canon or tokina version). But it does improve with the use of a +2 diopter. However, if you are just looking to sharpen up your images, a dome will help, and I would call ikelite or an online underwater camera dealer and ask this question.

My rigs (so you can see my bias):

T2I and 7d
Ikelite housings
Dome port for 10-22wa, and 10-17fe
Dual Ike 161 strobes
Dual Sea & Sea ys 110a strobes

Hi
Thank you so much. I really appreciate you getting back to me.
I think I will look around for a dome and get the diopter for starters.
regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom