Advices needed on corrosion in first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

projekts

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi all
I just sent my Atomic Aquatic regulator for servicing and was discovered that there was some minor flaking of the chrome plating on the inner wall of the first stage.
The flaking is really very small, probably due to some corrosion.
The technician is actually asking me to indent the part to replace it which might cost me around $100, but he mentioned that it is actually alright to still dive with it.
Can any expert here advise on this?
Would appreciate all constructive comments and thanks all in advanced

Attachments

• 935345512.jpg
    935345512.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 114
I'm not an authorized service tech, nor am I a business. So, with not doing work for others (liability), I have had more than enough success polishing out minor corrosion (and much more than you show there)....

I don't know that reg at all. Is it a diaphragm? There appears to be no long sleeve that would be the travel range of a piston (dynamic), so if a diaphragm, the corrosion is in a static location, and likely not a problem.

I am throwing this out there as speculation, and would like to know if I am wrong. No offence will be taken.

Atomic are all piston Bob, this one looks like it will be fine if just dove, better rinsing will help since it’s not sealed. This is at the extreme end of the piston travel so it may not have actual contact with the O-ring. My guess is that this is a Z2 or B2, I would dive it.

This is why I seal my Atomics, it keeps the salt out of the inside along with the micro abrasives from shore diving.

I have seen worse and it should not be a problem. I used a scotch brite pad to clean things up. As said above, sealing or better rinsing is key.

thanks guys... and yes, it is a B2
advices must appreciated...

Back
Top Bottom