Advice wanted: working as DM/OWSI abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirk P.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In a few years (looking at 2013) I want to take 3 months of work and go to the Dutch Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire or Curcao) to do some work as a DM or OWSI. I want to be well prepared and I am looking for advice, tips, do's/dont's and what not to forget. Any recommendations on dive centers to contact are also welcome.

Many thanks.

Dirk

I inquired about such a thing in Bonaire a couple of years ago. They require a visa for any stay over 14 days. I believe the visa's there are relatively easy to get (compared to other places) and information can either be obtained via internet or immigration services. Some countries grant longer visitation to students (ie: for those working their way through an IDC) so that may be an avenue for you to explore as well. Quite a few dive operations down that way offer the IDC, schedules vary and I don't know how the "work your way through school" thing goes there, but it may be worthwhile to ask. Good luck on your quest and I hope that all helps!

The OP is in the Netherlands so I'd assume the visa issues are not the same for them.

HI Dirk

I did exactly that several years ago , I was backpacking round south america got low on money and Caught the ferry there. Unless it has changed ??? you need to have applied for a Visa (cannot remember name of the work visa maybe P45 ??) and as long as the paper work is in you can work.
However this is hard to do as you need a Employer to put the visa in for you . what i would suggest is email every Dive centre in Curacao and Bonaire and ask for Job. Are you PADI OWSI ?? as most centres are Padi there !
I notice you have only done a few dives so maybe sell your self well saying you will work hard and lower salary, etc.
I have work all around the world first as a DM then Instructor and never applied for a Job always I contact the dive centre direct and ask for a Job - it's really a matter of if they need someone at the time (does not matter if a SSI, PADI, CMAS, Etc school say you are willing to do a Cross over at your expense and that will also help.
Thats my 2 cents worth hope it helps
Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom