Question Advice Wanted: Landscape Photographer to UW Videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattPNW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

As the title says, I’m going from landscape photography on the A7R IV to the A1 with the intent of taking more video in my life. Especially underwater. Did anyone make the jump from stills to videos either on land or underwater and have some nuggets of wisdom to share from their journey? I’ve watched plenty of YouTube videos on it, but most are from an on land perspective and I’d love to hear more from both sides.

For UW hardware I’ll be shooting with 2x YS-D2 strobes, 2x Big Blue VL5800p video lights, an Isotta housing, and a Sony A1 paired with a 16-35 f/2.8 and 90mm macro option. I’ve got the 6” dome currently and am waiting for the right time to go with a larger dome. I’ve been told for video this is less problematic as soft corners aren’t as apparent.

All feedback is welcomed feedback! :)

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Matt, it looks like you have assembled a very nice UW camera rig. Your equipment won't be a hindrance, that's for sure. I would go to wetpixel.com in addition to the board here as they have a lot of great photographers and videographers there as well. I like to watch Brent Durand and some others on Youtube for tips, although I don't do a lot of video. I am looking at upgrading my photo rig and considering the A6500 or A6600.

I am a fairly competent u/w still photographer and I'd like to do more u/w video but I am overwhelmed with the different technologies/terms/variables/etc. for videography. Video has a lot to do with post processing/editing/sound after the dive than still photography. You need to have a working knowledge with a decent video post processing software to do the required magic to put out a decent video. Too much computer time.

I am a fairly competent u/w still photographer and I'd like to do more u/w video but I am overwhelmed with the different technologies/terms/variables/etc. for videography. Video has a lot to do with post processing/editing/sound after the dive than still photography. You need to have a working knowledge with a decent video post processing software to do the required magic to put out a decent video. Too much computer time.
That’s exactly the piece that I’m not so sure about. Baby steps. I have the capable computer to pull it off and am already proficient with photo editing. The video editing will definitely be the biggest hurdle and that’s what I’m looking for the most tips on. It’s a whole new world.

Hi All, All feedback is welcomed feedback! :)
Thanks!
Matt

Hi Matt. I am just a vacation diver who uses a TG6 for video from reasonably close up to super macro. I have also longer distance video. Lights are the key. On some video may find you used too much power on the lights for the distance at other times perfect and sometimes not so good. I do not use any lenses. UW video is a whole new ball game. Go Pro's can also take quite good video. Good luck with your setup.

My youtube is dstv asia and I have posted from my vacations there. Anything in 4K is the TG6.

None of my video's are post edited mainly due to me being lazy however I have been told Davinci Resolve is a good program to use for video editing.

Hi Matt. I am just a vacation diver who uses a TG6 for video from reasonably close up to super macro. I have also longer distance video. Lights are the key. On some video may find you used too much power on the lights for the distance at other times perfect and sometimes not so good. I do not use any lenses. UW video is a whole new ball game. Go Pro's can also take quite good video. Good luck with your setup.

My youtube is dstv asia and I have posted from my vacations there. Anything in 4K is the TG6.

None of my video's are post edited mainly due to me being lazy however I have been told Davinci Resolve is a good program to use for video editing.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I can definitely understand that lighting is key. How many lumens are you using?

You may want to consider a tripod. The serious UW video folks I know also use an external monitor.

You may want to consider a tripod. The serious UW video folks I know also use an external monitor.
Good suggestion on the tripod. I’m looking into an avenue to use my phone as an external monitor, and I’m hoping that solves it. Doing a ninja and housing right now is way out of my budget.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I can definitely understand that lighting is key. How many lumens are you using?

I use Big Blue VL4200P video lights so the max output is rated at 4200 lumens. There are lots of discussions about whether or not lights actually produce the ratings claimed. For macro though using full power simply over illuminates so I use 10% or 25% power. Or sometimes just the inbuilt TG6 flash. I use a DIY camera tray and no tripod as I can set my tray down or hand hold it steady.
Why the Go Pro Hero 4 Black. That's what I used for several years before I bought the TG6. Waste not want not I can use that to video as I take photos with the TG6 at the same time if I want.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom