advice to beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticcat

Reaction score
When people travel and dive do they always take their tanks?
How much hassle for flying?
If for example on a cozumel cattle boat, with the group diving rental 80's and 2 buddies using 110's would this be a problem?

I haven't flown tanks in quite a while. Don't know what the baggage policy or hassle factor is. However, I used to make the run to Cozumel with my doubles. The air had to be drained. Also, on the return through customs the inspector was threatening to disassemble the rig to see if contraband was inside the cylinders. Didn't happen though, didn't fit the profile. Even if you have larger tanks, the Cozumel operator will insist that you surface with the rest of the group. Probably not worth it. I heard that some Cozumel operations are using HP steel bottles.

Taking tanks on a dive trip that involves flying would be a pain. You would have to drain them and remove the valve. Once you arrived at your destination you would then have to lug the damn things everywhere. I don't know anyone that takes tanks or weights on dive trips that involve flying. Too much work and the airlines make it a real pain in the ass and would more likely charge you more for transporting tanks.

Scott

Things were definitely friendlier back then. Most times, if I had a big speargun to carry aboard, the pilot would stow it in his cockpit, with a chuckle I might add. Sometimes they would stow it in the main cabin clothes hanging closet. If it had a proper case, they would special handle it to regular baggage. When I was in country, Aqua Safari would fill my tanks and hold them for the next dive trip. They would care for them even when I was gone to the mainland for a week.

Lugging tanks is a pain in the butt. Research and call the dive store and inquire about the tanks you want. Many time the store has tanks in the back room that they use themselves and can rent to you.

Take your weightbelt - leave your weights behind <S> I have a 54" waist - don't want to have to abort a dive because there's not much size selection in weight belst at the dive shop or on-board...my weighbelt will accomocate solid or shot weight...pretty handy!

Originally posted by martinjc
Take your weightbelt - leave your weights behind <S> I have a 54" waist - don't want to have to abort a dive because there's not much size selection in weight belst at the dive shop or on-board...my weighbelt will accomocate solid or shot weight...pretty handy!
Martin... I know that one of these days you are going to be able to leave the belt behind too... but for now... yes take your belt...

Keep on keepin' off :D

Thanks for the support - Dr. Atkins and I are working on it! <S>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom