Advice regarding additional diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldroses

Reaction score
Oi Oi. I'm really after some advice here! I've jsut returned from Austrailia and Thailand, and have completed my Open Water and Advanced diving course, and i want to continue with more dives now i'm back in meery old England. What course would any of you guys recommend next. Advanced +? I like the idea of underwater photography, but at this point im more interested in getting more hours under my belt! What are the better sites in the UK. Im from the Midlands, so any sites close to home would rock!

Welcome to SB Coldroses, fill us in on your diving in Thailand and Australia.
You might check these guys out for some diving in your area. UK Wreck Ferrets

Hello ColdRoses,

Rescue Diver could be interesting (depending on your number of dives).

Laurens

BTW, welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

My name is Matt and I wanted to welcome you to the community. I think it’s the best board on the internet for divers. The people on here make it a really friendly place. It’s a great place to see what’s going on with divers. Just wanted to make you feel welcome!

Take care and Safe Diving. :dazzler1: :azvatar:

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

Cheers People. Can anyone recommend a great place to dive inland in the UK. Heading back to Thailand, Ko Tao again in July so want to get a few dives in before hand. Thanks for the welcomes ya'll.

Coldroses,

Just back from Thailand (Phuket) myself.

As for diving in the UK, it is VERY different. You can either join a club, there are a couple of members clubs. www.bsac.org and www.saa.org.uk plus many PADI shop clubs. The members clubs should accept your PADI qualification as it stands. Further training will use their own syllabus should you want it. You will probably want to learn how to use a drysuit for instance. Most clubs won't charge for this, instructors are not paid. Again you can do the same through a PADI shop.

I would say that while Scubaboard has a lot of information, it is not the best when it comes to the UK. We just get a bit lost in it's depths. Some of us are also members of www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk a UK forum where you will find a lot more relevant information. There are many members from the midlands and we have divers of all levels of experience. Trips are organised too, so you should have plenty of opportunity to learn about UK diving.

I hope to see there,

Adrian

used to teach on Koh Tao, nice diving! the diving in the uk will obviously be colder so if you're gonna dive in the uk regularly you might want to do the drysuit course.

I like the rescue course too as I personally think all divers sghould have rescue training as soon as poss for safety reasons.

If you're in the midlands then stoney cove is close to you and the national diving centre isn't far.

message me if you want details on either.

Greg Jenkins

If you are in the Midlands. Stoney Cove is a great bet.

If you learnt to dive in Thailand get ready for a thick wet suit and plenty more weight.

I think the rescue diver class is the best diving education I have done. I did that here in the US.

However, my family live miles away from the Cove and I completed the dry suit course and wreck diver there. I thought the dry suit course was particularly useful and that was the last time I put on a wetsuit for cold water.....

Good luck!

If diving in the UK a drysuit course (or at least buying/learning to use one as i dont believe a paid-for course is needed for it) is pretty essential. After that rescue diver.

RD is about the minimum i feel any serious diver should be in term of skill. After that start thinking about other things like photography.

If you havent dived in britain its a LOT different to abroad - you be will advised to seek an instructor,experience buddy or join a local club to get some introduction to diving here.

Other than that there are quite literally hundreds if not thousands of dive sites to choose from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom