Advice re Easy Quick Dive Access / Liveaboard Like Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at staying here. Who did you use for dive op and did the pick you up/drop you off here?

I'm staying there for the first time in September. I always dive with ScubaTony, and they do pick up from there, although after reading today that you have to use the Secrets pier and get charged for it, I've emailed them asking about that situation. Will post an update when I hear back, if you're interested in diving with them. I've been on half a dozen trips with them and they never disappoint. But that's true of a ton of ops on the island, there are a lot of good ones. I don't think you'll have trouble finding somebody to pick you up there.

I'm looking at staying here. Who did you use for dive op and did the pick you up/drop you off here?
I use Bottom Time Divers. I think most ops will pick up from the neighboring Secrets Pier. There have been times where I am charged a couple of bucks here and there to use the pier, and other days I have not been charged. With the new pier construction, I don't know that the status is on charging outside dive ops to pick up from that pier. A slightly further walk south will bring you to the San Francisco pier. Last time I was on the island, they were not charging for dive pick ups.

So I heard back from my op, they said you can buy bracelets at the Residencias Reef security gate for $2 per diver per day. The bracelet will be checked or collected (wasn't specified) by a security guard on the pier. You can NOT buy them from the security guard on the pier as they do not handle cash. I doubt they charge dive ops directly because I know mine won't pick up at Iberostar and that's the reason.

Appreciate the info on the spotty nature of the pier guarding, morecowbells. Sounds like buying more than a couple at a time might end up being a waste. Might even just walk down to San Francisco pier after the first day when I won't be hauling so much gear back and forth.

So I heard back from my op, they said you can buy bracelets at the Residencias Reef security gate for $2 per diver per day. The bracelet will be checked or collected (wasn't specified) by a security guard on the pier. You can NOT buy them from the security guard on the pier as they do not handle cash. I doubt they charge dive ops directly because I know mine won't pick up at Iberostar and that's the reason.

Appreciate the info on the spotty nature of the pier guarding, morecowbells. Sounds like buying more than a couple at a time might end up being a waste. Might even just walk down to San Francisco pier after the first day when I won't be hauling so much gear back and forth.

A couple of years ago the pier had the same process with purchasing bracelets/passes via the RR gate. We were checked twice the entire vacation. I recommend purchasing a couple at first and see how it unfolds:) Carrying my camera, etc. it was just easier to cough up the $2 to use the Secrets pier. I am going back in Oct. and it won't come soon enough.

I'm wondering if two teenagers might get bored at RR. Looks pretty dead quiet, far from the restaurants. My be better off closer to town.

I'm wondering if two teenagers might get bored at RR. Looks pretty dead quiet, far from the restaurants. My be better off closer to town.

When my son was a teenager and traveled with me to Cozumel a few times, he was pretty bored when we stayed in the south. He liked it better when we stayed in a rental in town. He was not comfortable exploring on his own even though he had permission, but maybe your kids are more adventurous. Town really is a short taxi ride away at all times. Keep in mind they might get accosted by some unsavory characters. When my son was 16 he was offered drugs (weed) a couple times when he wasn't near us, by the 'cigar' vendors on the main drag. He was smart enough to ignore them but just be aware of it. And for perspective it was far worse in Playa del Carmen. Cozumel is incredibly safe so I don't want to give the wrong impression.

You are right, the south is quiet and that's why I like it there. It can get noisy in some parts of town and I'm a light sleeper so I quickly learned earplugs are a must. I couldn't handle the traffic noise when I stayed at Vista Del Mar even though the hotel was fantastic otherwise. Even when I stayed at a rented house back off the main streets I still had issues sometimes. There's only so much earplugs can do when your neighbors (locals) have a party going with a mariachi band out on the street outside your window at midnight though. Yes that happened one night. We had fun with it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom