Advice Please: Is Poseidon Odin Worth Repair Cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'm new to diving and this forum, so this will be my first post. Here goes...

I haven't been diving since I obtained my OW Drysuit certification last month, and I'm itching to go, so I've driven myself to distraction hunting down good deals on used gear. It's necessary for me to buy used because otherwise I could not afford scuba at all. I live in BC so I dive in cold water.

I picked up a used Poseidon regulator with a din/yoke adaptor and a spare servo ($100 part) included, all for $150.

It appeared (to my untrained eye) to be in good condition, but it being used equipment, I naturally took it in to my LDS for servicing. Turns out the first stage has issues and needs a $90 parts kit on top of the $80 for the service.

The dive shop owner has offered to give me what I paid for it instead. Is it worth the cost to have it fixed, or should I sell it and recoup my investment? Is $320 a good price for a freshly serviced Odin with din/yoke adaptor and spare parts?

Last edited:
My guess is that if the shop owner will pay you 150 for it, knowing it needs 170 in work, it's probably worth it. I dive Poseidon Cyclons from the 70s, and although their expensive to maintain, they're my favorite regs.

My guess is that if the shop owner will pay you 150 for it, knowing it needs 170 in work, it's probably worth it. I dive Poseidon Cyclons from the 70s, and although their expensive to maintain, they're my favorite regs.

How expensive are they to maintain relative to Aqualung or Mares regs?

How expensive are they to maintain relative to Aqualung or Mares regs?

First. welcome to Scubaboard. Second, it would help if you posted where you are from, I suspect you are not in the US. In the US, Poseidons have a reputation to be difficult and expensive to service. However this person only charges $15 additional to service a Poseidon and a service kit is only $40 here. Personally I would check around before selling the regulator to him, I think he is trying to take advantage of you by marking up his prices.

I'll try the place you mentioned, ams511. Prior to Miami, I lived in the Chicago area, and the cyclons were 40 bucks or so above my aqualungs.

I live near Vancouver, BC Canada. I've been told by a couple of sources that the shop I'm dealing with is the only one that services Poseidon in all of Western Canada. He seems like a trustworthy fellow, but he is aware that I can't deal with anyone else if I want the reg repaired.

After a bit of checking, $80 to have the reg serviced is around par for my area. Everything is more expensive here than in the US, including scuba, it would seem.

Last edited:
I live near Vancouver, BC Canada. I've been told by a couple of sources that the shop I'm dealing with is the only one that services Poseidon in all of Western Canada. He seems like a trustworthy fellow, but he is aware that I can't deal with anyone else if I want the reg repaired.

After a bit of checking, $80 to have the reg serviced is around par for my area. Everything is more expensive here than in the US, including scuba, it would seem.

The labor seems a bit high but the parts kit is outrageous. Are you sure this is not for two parts kits, one each for the first and second stages? You could inquire what the cost is in Seattle. Canada was always more expensive than the US because the Canadian dollar was worth less than the US dollar. However recently the Canadian dollar is worth the same as the US so it may be cheaper in the US. However, you may spend more in gas or shipping.

Where in Vancouver or Oregon or any place closely for shipping, may I have my Poseidon Cyklon 5000, and Jetstream/Odins, serviced ? Any advice will be appreciated

Where in Vancouver or Oregon or any place closely for shipping, may I have my Poseidon Cyklon 5000, and Jetstream/Odins, serviced ? Any advice will be appreciated

Dive and Sea Sports in New Westminster is the only place I know of that services that brand.

Harbor Dive Center Sausalito,CA. 415 331 0904. Talk to Dave about your regs. I shipped mine to him and was quite pleased with the result.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom