Advice on Sea&Sea double strobe set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello!

After shooting for some years with a Canon G1X (with Ikelite housing and in-built flash), I just acquired a Sony A65 with a Sigma 17-70 Macro lens and a BS Kinetics housing, with 2 TTL ports. I would like to purchase a double strobe set.

Of course, I would like decent quality at the lowest possible price.

With those criteria in mind, the 2 strobes that caught my attention are Sea & Sea YS-03 and YS-01. The YS-03, with its included arm and fiber optic cable, and unbeatable price, is appealing. YS-01 further setting possibilities are interesting, but purchasing arm and fiber optic cable adds an extra 150 US$, added to the extra 100 US$ of the YS-01 head compared to the YS-03 set.

From what I saw, my best options would be (1) YS-01 (allowing me to switch modes and flash intensity) with a YS-03 slave or (2) using two YS-03. Of course, I would be open to other sets as long as they stay in the same price range (ideally, below 800 US$).

I haven't seen anybody using a double YS-03. Is the TTL "automatic" intensity setting not accurate when using doubles?

Thank you very much!

Marco

Last edited:
I would suggest shelling out for the YS-01, the 03 as you know is TTL only, TTL really relies on the camera rather than the strobe for its metering as the strobe is only matching what the on board strobe does and it seems the TTL on many cameras is hit and miss underwater. Most likely to work with macro subjects taking up much of the frame and less likely to work for wide angle and subjects with water in the background. Manual exposure on flash gets around this problem and is really not that difficult.

Thanks for your opinion Chris. In that case, would a double YS-01 be a good choice? Are there any other good strobes in the same price category (or cheaper)? Thank you!

The other strobe to consider is the INON S-2000, around the same price, nice little strobes though the switches/dials are quite small. DO note that the even though your Sony is a small cam it has an APS-C sensor. It will need to stop down further to get equivalent Depth of field compared to say a compact or mirrorless, so you need more light.

The specs for the S-2000 are quite similar to the YS-01 with same quoted guide number and it claims 110° of coverage vs 100° for the YS-01. At Reef photo for example the YS-10 is $US429 and the S-2000 $365, though you need to add $20 or so for a Z-joint on the S-2000 which is included with S&S.

I use the Z-240s and they are guide number 24 vs 20 for the small flashes, so you'll be closer to full power and maybe slightly longer recycle times. If you were wanting to light a reef scene with good coverage with a fisheye on your Sony system I'd think I'd drift toward the bigger more powerful Z-330. But if you can live with that limitation and do mainly macro, the two flashes discussed will serve you well. If it was me I'd go with the INON S-2000.

Strobes (at least mostly) will most likely outlast your current housing. If you only shoot macro and CFWA then the S2000 is a good bet, mine have lasted at least 6 years. If you want to shoot bigger things though then either the Z330 or YSD1 (J) should be in your thoughts as well as the symbiosis strobe (now $599 at Bluewater)
Bill

I second the hesitation on the YS-03 - having only TTL can end up being very frustrating and limiting in the long run. All of the above suggestions are good, but I would consider also looking at the used market, here on Scubaboard and on WetPixel. I have seen 2 Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes go for as little as $500 total, which is a great deal, as long as they haven't been flooded, etc. The used D1 market has been pretty active lately and represents a good value. Since the Z330 came out, there has been an uptick in used Inon strobe listings as well.

I agree, but would be a bit wary of used YSD1 versions if they have not had the firmware upgrade. Many of the early ones would consistently give erroneous battery empty errors during use.

BVA

Hi
Which Ikelite did you have? Are you happy with the Z330? it's easy to use?

I have the YS-03 kit for use with my Oly TG-4. I have some fantastic shots with it (IMHO!!!), but I also have a lot of crap shots where it should have been better but either the flash didn't fire or the TTL was way off, usually the former. There seems to be littler rhyme or reason as to the times it doesn't fire. Frustrating to the point where I'm now looking at the YS-D2J to replace it. Get to keep the same batteries/charger that I'm already using, similar connection, but now have TTL and full manual mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom