advice on land-based Caribbean destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings!

My family and I woud like a Caribbean holiday next year, when it’ll be our 25th wedding anniversary. There are six of us and three are keen divers. As we are based in Europe, our diving is primarily in the Mediterranean (in summer), Maldives (seldom) and the Red Sea (often, in winter), so we’d like a bit of a change and have decided to splash out on a Caribbean trip.

What land-based Caribbean destination offers the best chance of encounters with large animals? Please bear in mind that three of us do not dive, but enjoy snorkelling and exploring the surrounding area. Whenever we go to the Red Sea, they will go on desert quad trips or star gazing at night. We do not care for night life or gourmet cuisine. Cost of the trip is obviously a consideration, but possibly not the main one.

What destinations would you advise and why? Should we be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance.

Large animals and the Caribbean don't mix… you'll have to pick another's destination, just my opinion

When are you traveling? Large animals tend to pass thru the Caribbean at various times.

Florida also has some interesting large animal opportunities. From Manatees in the springs during winter, to shark migrations, and goliath grouper aggregation on the east coast.

Whale sharks are often seen off of Cozumel and the Bay islands in spring I think.

No guarantees but here are a few ideas:

Whale shark season peaks in Cancun / Cozumel in July and August
Sail fish Isla Mujeres in January and February
Sperm whales in Dominica
Lots of sharks always in the Bahamas

For almost guaranteed large animals including snorkeling in the Caribbean:

Whale Sharks - Cancun/Isla Mujeres Mexico. The peak time is July & August. SNORKEING ONLY. There are many operators who specialize in these trips.

Bull & Lemon Sharks, Goliath Grouper Aggregation - Riviera Beach/Jupiter Florida. Late August/Early September. Baited shark dives (controversial) provide greater numbers and more reliable sightings. Both snorkelers and divers.

Grand Cayman East End for high reef shark probability.

Personal experience with all of the above.

Another possibility is the Bahama's. Stuart Coves for Tiger Beach or Bimini in the winter for Great Hammerheads. I have not experienced these dives.

Plenty of information on all of these if you search the web. I would be happy to share links with the operators I have used if you are interested.

Time of year might impact what you're apt to see and where. When do you plan to come? How long is this trip likely to be? Are you okay with the group splitting up at times? What I'm thinking of is, for example, if in the Jupiter, Florida area, the divers heading out to see Goliath grouper or lemon sharks while the snorkelers head off the Blue Heron Bridge. And a longer trip would let you hit more than one place (e.g.: Jupiter and Key Largo in Florida).

Greetings!

My family and I woud like a Caribbean holiday next year, when it’ll be our 25th wedding anniversary. There are six of us and three are keen divers. As we are based in Europe, our diving is primarily in the Mediterranean (in summer), Maldives (seldom) and the Red Sea (often, in winter), so we’d like a bit of a change and have decided to splash out on a Caribbean trip.

What land-based Caribbean destination offers the best chance of encounters with large animals? Please bear in mind that three of us do not dive, but enjoy snorkelling and exploring the surrounding area. Whenever we go to the Red Sea, they will go on desert quad trips or star gazing at night. We do not care for night life or gourmet cuisine. Cost of the trip is obviously a consideration, but possibly not the main one.

What destinations would you advise and why? Should we be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance.
Have a look at ReefCI based in Southern Belize. They operate diving Monday to Friday which gives you the weekends to see the country.

Alternatively, give Thailand a go. My next trip will be to Koh Lipe. I find it cheaper than the States or the Carribean and dead easy to travel round. (all pre-COVID-19)

Dominica. Whales are common, and much of the island is rain forest with fantastic creatures, extirpated in most other Caribbean locations. Not many tourists, a big plus. No direct flights, though. The local endemic Boa Constrictors, flocks of parrots, resplendent butterflies, and huge fireflies are worth the trip. Lightning flashes around the mountain peaks while the sun is shining brightly through a fine misty rain is just one of the pleasures on the only island that Columbus would recognize.

Dominica. Whales are common, and much of the island is rain forest with fantastic creatures, extirpated in most other Caribbean locations. Not many tourists, a big plus. No direct flights, though. The local endemic Boa Constrictors, flocks of parrots, resplendent butterflies, and huge fireflies are worth the trip. Lightning flashes around the mountain peaks while the sun is shining brightly through a fine misty rain is just one of the pleasures on the only island that Columbus would recognize.
Agreed. Dominica (DOM) is a good choice for mixed land activities, snorkeling, and diving. Sperm whales are common. There are direct flights from San Juan SJU). Usually there are puddle-jumpers from St Martin (SXM) but they are greatly limited right now.

The most sharks we've seen have been at Cuba's Jardines de la Reina and at Turks and Caicos, but snorkeling is not that good.
Mexico for whale sharks, as mentioned.
East coast Florida for Goliath Groupers, but that is not the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom