Advice on IDC and work in SE Asia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on taking a year or two off to travel and dive mostly in SE Asia. I'm currently a (non-working) DM so I'm looking at becoming an instructor to increase my employability...
Which leads nicely on to a couple of questions I hope you folks can help with :)

What are the job prospects like for newly qualified instructors in SE Asia (I'm thinking in terms of is there enough work going to keep body and soul together)? I've been diving for eight years, I know I won't get rich as an instructor, I'm just looking at making my diving and travels more or less neutrally cash buoyant.

Second question concerns where to do the IDC, the UK before I set off or actually in the region (Koh Tao springs to mind). I'm not setting off for a few months, got commitments to fulfil and then got to hit the right window for the first part of the journey (cycling to India), so I've got the time to do it with a local dive shop before I go.
I can see all sorts of pros and cons here, from costs (which in the UK around £1400), able to take more time in the UK, harder learning conditions in the UK, chance to see Capernwray time and again (ah, Capernwray!), the possibility of finding it easier to get a job after I do my IDC with a center where I want to be, that sort of thing.

So, any input and help appreciated!

Cheers!

For an IDC the learning conditions will be more or less the same in the UK or abroad.

I think the main advantages of doing an IDC abroad will be the price difference, plus it will greatly improve your work opportunities. Don't trust anybody who promises you work with their DC, I have seen too many of those promises broken, but they should be able to mediate with finding work.

Also a newly qualified instructor should be able to earn his living.

Deja vu :wink:

Thanks for both responses! In terms of conditions I was thinking more environmental i.e. cold quarries in dry suits, that sort of thing.
The key thing I guess is improving work opportunities although cash outlay would make a difference as well!

Hi Bill,

A man true to his word! Welcome here. Have a look around, plenty of options available in Thailand and if you're looking for work in this region, it may be useful and helpful to do your IDC in this region, you'll get a better foot in the door, just my opinion.

I agree with Limbo. Thailand has some great IDC centres and some great diving. The prospect of employment is greatly increased by getting your face known.
Watch out for some of the "internship' conditions. Some can be a little odd.
Good luck.

Cheers folks, got to say I'm sold on Thailand now! Learned in Khao Lak in 1999, so there's a narrative logic in there somewhere, though Koh Lanta and Koh Tao appeal for the IDC, more so as I'm not sure what time of year I'll arrive.

And yes, I really can see the advantage of getting experience in an area helping to get a job there afterwards. Means I can't justify the new dry suit I was thinking of getting for the summers diving in the UK but guess I'll just have to learn to live with that... :wink:

Hi Bill,
Just wanted to kind of back-up what Bob and Limbo are saying. I think you'd be better served doing your IDC in this area, as well. Much nicer conditions, better work opportunities and the courses here are well-organized and professional. There's lots of IDC centers that will give good training. Both Bob and Limbo are CD's, as am I, and I'm sure any of us would be happy to answer more questions in a PM.

All the best.

Darius

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom