Advice on DC 1400 use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to figure out what causes some of the "bubble" effect on many of the photos I take with.

I suspect it is just because the standard camera flash is being used in low vis, low light environments.

Any info or tips are appreciated.

PICT0301.JPG

PICT0314.JPG

PICT0315.JPG

I know it is capable of taking pictures deep, but the lighting must be better.

PICT0077.JPG

121 views and not a comment?

The third picture really shows what I am talking about regarding the bubble effect.

Are you talking about the backscatter caused by the particles in the water? Or the fact that the amount of flash lighting isn't uniform across the picture?

Are you talking about the backscatter caused by the particles in the water? Or the fact that the amount of flash lighting isn't uniform across the picture?

Yes, if backscatter is what you call it, that is what I am talking about.

I have many pictures that are way worse than the third one. You feel that is just because of particles in the water?

It just seems that the "bubbles" are considerably larger than any particles that may have been in the water.

Does the flash reflect off of these and cause the bubbles?

Yes, if backscatter is what you call it, that is what I am talking about.

I have many pictures that are way worse than the third one. You feel that is just because of particles in the water?

It just seems that the "bubbles" are considerably larger than any particles that may have been in the water.

Does the flash reflect off of these and cause the bubbles?
That would be my diagnosis, yes. If a particle very close to the lens gets flashed upon, it will appear very bright, and the fact that it's out of focus because it's so close will also make it appear larger. An external strobe, moving the path of the light out of the path of the particles in front of the lens, would probably bring some improvement.

Ya thats backscatter and its there no matter if you got good or no ambient light...using the internal flash makes it worse. If you don't use the internal flash you will eliminate a good bit of it. The only real way to correct it is to buy a strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom