Advice on computer choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've considered the Ratio, so the Guru would definitely be one to look at. How is their customer service? I looked at the manual and it appears to be running the Buhlmann ZHL-16 B algorithm. As a newer diver I know that sort of stuff is still a bit above my head, but it's something I'll need to understand and I don't want to be THAT guy during the dive whose computer is yelling at him to end the dive soonest.
I was randomly in a dive shop on Sunday. In the computers cabinet there were computers varying between £149 and £812. If you have already spent £10k on a rebreather and the training to go with it then you would probably need the expensive one.

£663 buys quite a lot of nitrox.

I'm new to caring about the algorithm. Other folks on this thread know a bunch, and there's other threads on deco algorithms (link).

Mainly I was looking for something that had AI and a compass, a reliable and robust computer logging interface, and would be OK on multi-dive days. I like the wrist mount format too. I've only got one dive on this, so it's tough to say anything about their support. I did email seac about using other watch straps, and they replied pretty much immediately.

In terms of turning the light off: There's this cover from ratio (link). I guess you could also put it on a short house and maybe tuck it somewhere into your BC. For me the transmitter light blinking so I can see my buddies remaining air pressure is a value add.

We shall see how it goes. I picked up a Guru w/o for $215, so now I'm just waiting for it to be delivered. It's not a widely supported brand and their website leaves much to be desired, but it looks like I have places in my area should I need them for support. Unless there are any problems, I figured you really can't beat the price and if I really like it I can always get a transmitter, otherwise I'll use it until I can build my funds back up (aka squirrel enough money away so my wife doesn't say WTF did you just buy for $800 on the credit card?) for a Shearwater and then use the guru as a backup.

Oh, and about the transmitter, any way to turn the light off?
They make a neoprene cover to make it stealth :)

I've wondered why Ratio chose to run Buhlmann ZH-L16B rather than C, but have never heard a good explanation. B was modified in intermediate compartments, from overly aggressive A, for use in tables. C was further modified from B for use in dive computers.

Ratio iDive Sport and iX3M Easy and Deep models are limited to 6 preset GFs and do not offer custom GFs. I'm sure you could make them work, but I've always found them a little strange, 93/93, 90/90, 80/80, 75/75, 30/90, and 20/89. Seac Guru is the iDive Sport Easy.

GF Lo won't matter for no-stop dives and I wonder how surfacing M-values of ZHL16-B w/ GF Hi of 93 compare to those of ZHL16-C w/ GF Hi 95. It may well be that there is no appreciable difference and that on a no-stop dive e.g. -B with 80/80 is near-identical to -C with 40/85.

Oh, and since my tank pressure is something I tell dive masters and buddies all the time, I fail to see the reason for wanting the light off, what I wonder is from what distance you can tell the red from the green in 25 metres of clear blue water. (OK, physically turning the LED off may save you some battery life, I grant you that.)

It's still battery life: they deteriorate with every charge/discharge cycle... but if they source decent batteries with proper quality control, it should last longer that the one in the wrist unit anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom