Advice on Cameras for Workplace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randy88k5

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the responsibility to purchase two cameras for my workplace. I need a digital still camera and a video camera.

The still camera will be used in a manufacturing environment and out in the field, so a heavy duty camera is a must. I have experience with the Olympus Stylus tough series, and I have been very pleased with that line. I would welcome other suggestions. Preferably less than $400.

The video camera would be used to make instructional videos of some of our products. It might see some light field use. A heavy duty option would be nice, but not necessary if it drastically increases the size or price. A camera that is handheld but tripod-ready would be perfect. I think it should be HD for resolution. I am completely new when it comes to modern video cameras, so I’m looking for suggestions on makes and models. Preferably less than $800.

Any recommendations on editing software?

If anyone reading this is a dealer, feel free to PM me for my email address. I would welcome quotes along with your suggestions. I would like to give business to fellow divers if possible.

Sony's HDR-CX360V retails around $600.
HDR-CX360V | Full HD 32GB Flash Memory Camcorder | Sony | Sony Style USA
Amazon.com: Sony HDR-CX360V High Definition Handycam Camcorder (Bordeaux): Camera & Photo

Another option to consider would be the Canon HF S30. Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : VIXIA HF S30

You can currently get one for $828. I'd probably buy one if I was looking now.
Amazon.com: Canon VIXIA HF S30 Flash Memory Camcorder with SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer with Powered IS: Camera & Photo

I use Sony's Vegas but it's harder (IMO) to learn. One of the Pinnacle Studio programs should allow you to edit/produce video within a few hours of installing it.

Back
Top Bottom