Advice on Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yakivet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be visiting Ambergris Caye, Belize on March 4-14. We will be staying at the Sunbreeze Hotel and diving while on the island. We are planning to do our diving with Protech. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on AC in general, on Diving with Protech or other ops, or on staying at the Sunbreeze. Also, what would your recomendations be as diving the day trips to the atolls, BH, Halfmoon or others. Last but not least, are any SB'ers going to be there at that time as we'd love to meet a few? :42:

Sunbreeze has Amigos Del Mar dive ops right in front, and they were the dive dive operation we had between them, ProTech, and Ambergris Divers.

If you need any rental gear, Protech has the best stuff on the island, but Amigos Del Mar had the bigger boat if you're going out to the Blue Hole, which is lumped in with Lighthouse and halfmoon caye as a 3 tank dive. DO IT! its a long boat ride, but they put out a huge spread of food, and the outter atolls are far superior to any diving right off Ambergris Caye. If you get a change, I highly recommend going in-land, and go to Cave Branch, Jaguar paw, or Banana Bank for some jungle exploration of mayan ruins, or caving tours, or horse back rides up rivers.

Great times. And bring me back a bottle of One Barrel Rum please! Yummy Yummy stuff.

yakivet:
My wife and I will be visiting Ambergris Caye, Belize on March 4-14. We will be staying at the Sunbreeze Hotel and diving while on the island. We are planning to do our diving with Protech. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on AC in general, on Diving with Protech or other ops, or on staying at the Sunbreeze. Also, what would your recomendations be as diving the day trips to the atolls, BH, Halfmoon or others. Last but not least, are any SB'ers going to be there at that time as we'd lovee to meet a few? :42:

yakivet:
My wife and I will be visiting Ambergris Caye, Belize on March 4-14. We will be staying at the Sunbreeze Hotel and diving while on the island. We are planning to do our diving with Protech. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on AC in general, on Diving with Protech or other ops, or on staying at the Sunbreeze. Also, what would your recomendations be as diving the day trips to the atolls, BH, Halfmoon or others. Last but not least, are any SB'ers going to be there at that time as we'd lovee to meet a few? :42:

The folks at ProTech Belize run a great operation. The gear they have avalilable, if you need rentals, is top notch. They do instruction from BOW on up to re-breathers. Peter Jones, and Roni Liberman, the owners, are great people. I am sure you will enjoy it!

Rob Davie

Just got back from San Pedro and stayed at Sunbreezse too. Really like it as it is easy walking distance from everything in town - good restaurant - Blue Water grill on property with a nice bar and pool. Think the dive shop infront of the hotel is Aqua Dives. Amigo's is furthar into town - i always dive with them - really nice people and good boats. Have heard good things about Protech also, bit furthar to walk to though - mind you they may pick you up at the dock. There are loads of really great places to eat on the island. My favorites are Reef for dinner and Estels for lunch and breakfast. Have done the dive to the BH - it's a full day and costs about $180. The first dive you do is the blue hole which is deep and blue!! You dont see much - few sharks swim by and you hit about 135' i think. It's pretty cool though. You then dives Aquarium and have lunch on half moon Caye which is really nice - it's a bird sanctuary. Then on the way home you dive round light house reef (think thats the right order).
I'd advise you to do a night dive too - they do them at Hol Chan and i really enjoyed it, all the rays are asleep on the sand!
Sunbreeze is a great place to stay - see if you can get an upstairs room though as everyone walking to the pool or bar can see right in your windows unless the curtains are shut!!! (our room was at the end closest to the bar!!! - lots of foot traffic!) Have a great time - you'll love San Pedro.

RockyHeap:
If you get a change, I highly recommend going in-land, and go to Cave Branch, Jaguar paw, or Banana Bank for some jungle exploration of mayan ruins, or caving tours, or horse back rides up rivers.

Great times. And bring me back a bottle of One Barrel Rum please! Yummy Yummy stuff.

Thanks for the information. We'll be using our own gear so rentals won't be of concern. I've heard repeatedly that amigo's is the one for the BH. We'll have to give them a try. It seems to me that they and Protech come pretty highly rated on this board. Are the "inland" trips on the mainland? If so, we'll have to catch them on another trip. Our schedule is pretty well set as I have a conference to attend on the island. I'll see what I can do about the rum if you're serious. Since your're in Seattle its a possibility. Ken

hil71:
Just got back from San Pedro and stayed at Sunbreezse too. Really like it as it is easy walking distance from everything in town - good restaurant - Blue Water grill on property with a nice bar and pool. Think the dive shop infront of the hotel is Aqua Dives. Amigo's is furthar into town - i always dive with them - really nice people and good boats. Have heard good things about Protech also, bit furthar to walk to though - mind you they may pick you up at the dock. There are loads of really great places to eat on the island. My favorites are Reef for dinner and Estels for lunch and breakfast. Have done the dive to the BH - it's a full day and costs about $180. The first dive you do is the blue hole which is deep and blue!! You dont see much - few sharks swim by and you hit about 135' i think. It's pretty cool though. You then dives Aquarium and have lunch on half moon Caye which is really nice - it's a bird sanctuary. Then on the way home you dive round light house reef (think thats the right order).
I'd advise you to do a night dive too - they do them at Hol Chan and i really enjoyed it, all the rays are asleep on the sand!
Sunbreeze is a great place to stay - see if you can get an upstairs room though as everyone walking to the pool or bar can see right in your windows unless the curtains are shut!!! (our room was at the end closest to the bar!!! - lots of foot traffic!) Have a great time - you'll love San Pedro.

Thanks for all the info--especially with regard to the Sunbreeze and your favorite eating establishments. Did you mostly walk within town or use the golf carts? I see Gaz has posted the "Blue Hole" story. I'll have to read through it. Thanks again, Ken

We dove BH with Amigos del Mar last February and they were great. Reviews around here seem pretty mixed on the BH dive (we loved it, though is different than most dives in that there's not a lot of color or life), but I think everyone agrees that the dives typically following BH and the picnic lunch make the trip more than worthwhile.

My favorite food on Ambergris was at JamBel's Jerk Pit. If you like spicy food, it's a must-visit.

yakivet:

Hi Ken - no need for a golf cart - your pretty much in town! Sunbreeze is in a really great location as it is at the bottom of main street. You dont need any transportation when you get there - if your arriving on the water taxi just walk off the dock and go left - the hotel is about 100m down the beach. If your coming in on Tropic then the "terminal" is right outside the hotel door, if you come in on Maya, just walk round the airstrip -very handy! Although it's close to the airport - we werent disturbed by the planes - have stayed in a few places in SP and Sunbreeze is my favorite. Have a wonderful trip - wish i was going back soon!! Hilary

hil71:
Hi Ken - no need for a golf cart - your pretty much in town! Sunbreeze is in a really great location as it is at the bottom of main street. You dont need any transportation when you get there - if your arriving on the water taxi just walk off the dock and go left - the hotel is about 100m down the beach. If your coming in on Tropic then the "terminal" is right outside the hotel door, if you come in on Maya, just walk round the airstrip -very handy! Although it's close to the airport - we werent disturbed by the planes - have stayed in a few places in SP and Sunbreeze is my favorite. Have a wonderful trip - wish i was going back soon!! Hilary

Can't wait to go. Thanks for all the info. Ken

So Protech would be good? What about Ambergris Divers? We have been looking at them and they seem like they can meet our needs since we are coming in on a cruise ship and all. Anybody have any advice on Ambergris Divers?

Back
Top Bottom