advice on a nikon d70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all a couple of weeks ago i was asking about a nikon d40 i was gonna buy from my gfs uncle, it turns out it was actually a nikon d70, he told me it was a d40 but didnt actually look at the camera to make sure, the camera comes with a nikkor dx af 18-70mm lens

could anyone tell me a little bit about this camera, is it any good at all?? i think he wants 500 pounds sterling for it and the lens, i could get him down to 400 though if im lucky!!

is it worth the 500 sterling??

is the lens anygood for underwater at all??

thanks for the help guys

dave

The D70 is a solid and heavy 6.1MP camera. I think that the 500 Stearling price (about $1000 USD) is too high for a camera that's been off of the market for a few years. A D80 kit cost about the same new, although it comes with a 18-55mm lens (it's a good lens). Compare the D70s (almost the same as a D70) to the current D80 here:

Nikon D80 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

In all cases of the big name DSLRs, the lens is far more important than the camera body. Unless you need a special feature, such as high ISO or many frames per second almost any modern DSLR will do the job.

My D70s hasn't learned to swim yet, so someone else will need to answer that part of your question. I would guess that the 12-24mm lens would be a better UW choice.

thanks for the advice

it does seem a bit to much to me, i had a check on e bay then and i have bidded on a d70 with the same lens i put my top bid in at 250 sterling and the actuall bid is at 127 strling now, so if i get for below the 250 sterling i think i would have done well,, if im out bid i will just look for another camera there i think, theres no way im gonna give 400 sterling let alone 500 for the camera kerries uncle has

thanks again

does the 6 megapix on the d70 versus the 10 megapix on the d80 matter at all, or is it the same thing because the ccd chip is what matters

Last edited:
hi guys i won the auction for the d70 i got it for 250 euros

thanks for the help

The only time that the 10 MP will be better than the 6 is for cropping. So in i=other words, the 6MP will be plenty.

The 18-70 lens is usually shot behind a dome with a diopter on the lens. However, the wide side isn't really wide enough and the 70 side isn't really good for macro. About the only thing the lens will be adequate for is fish portraits. You will want better glass.

HTH,
Dave

does the 6 megapix on the d70 versus the 10 megapix on the d80 matter at all, or is it the same thing because the ccd chip is what matters

Congratulations on your new camera.

As long as you do a reasonable job of cropping the image before you take the picture and and not later in Photoshop, the 6MP will be fine. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom