Advice needed on Thailand trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daemon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi

Me and my wife are going to Thailand(Phuket and Phi Phi) end of Nov for 10 days.
Any not to be missed dive sites around Phuket and Phi Phi?

Also can we just arrive there and book a dive for say the next day or is it so busy that we need to perhaps book now already?

Thanks

My personal favorite dive sites near to Phuket and Phi Phi are Shark Point and Anemone Reef (about halfway between Phuket and Phi Phi), the Bidas (near Phi Phi). Further south of Phi Phi are Koh Haa and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang.

There is certainly no need to book now for the end of November. Usually you can book day trips from one day to the next, no problem. But not all trips are equal, so a little pre-planning (a week or two in advance) is smart so that you get the boat you want to the dive site you prefer. That way you know which days you'll be diving rather than simply selecting from what is available for "tomorrow".

Hi Daemon,

Totally aggree with Quero on the best dive sites, I would add Koh Doc Mai.

If you are going to be staying and diving from both Phuket and Phi Phi Island, make sure you choose the dive sites that are close to your land base.

Do your best to get to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang if you can as its arguably the best diving outside the Similan Islands.

I would agree with the suggested dive sites, but would add that you should not waste your money on diving the wreck of the ferry King cruiser. Many day trips combine this site with koh doc mai and shark point or anemone reef. It is now a collapsed heap of rusted scrap and very disapointing.
I recomend Scuba Diving Thailand Phuket Liveaboard Thailand diving Thailand Similan island dive Thailand scuba diving Burma Banks Myanmar dive Mergui good place to do your day trips or liveaboard. Have a great trip.,

Heading to Thailand in the near future, you might want to check out this site then talk to a travel agent...

I couldn't resist myself, clicked your link and had a peek.
What's written looks certainly very scary for anyone not living in Thailand (or Asia for that matter).
I think the Canadian government doesn't want its citizens to have a good time in Thailand but rather wants them to stay home in the cold (or get eaten by a bear! (or both!!)).

I'm happy to guarantee you though that despite all the rambling about yearly returning floods and droughts, mass demonstrations, civil unrest, sporadic violence and attacks, airport blockades, the tsunami, SARS, bird and swine flu, food poisoning, coral bleaching, expensive tuk-tuks, too many tailors, corrupt government officials, lady-boys, drunk driving, an unstable government and a zillion other things Thailand is still a pretty amazing, safe, colorful and great place to visit.

Know what your saying Bowmouth, but better to have some review or idea of what's going on than none at all. Obviously some flooding and some unrest has occurred. The old boy scout motto should be kept in mind.

Cheers,

Terry, you are correct in noting by way of your post title that the flooding in some parts of Thailand was pretty bad, the worst in decades, according to many sources, but now things are normalizing. At the risk of misinterpreting Bowmouth's intent, I read his post as meaning that despite some isolated and unusual newsworthy events as listed in the government of Canada website, these are not a strong general reason to avoid visiting Thailand altogether.

We do rely on our governments to give us heads-up warnings before we embark on travels to distant lands, but we also need to be aware that they tend to couch their advice in "the sky is falling" terms so that no citizen can say that they were insufficiently protected by their leaders. For example, while it is true as noted in the Canadian government's travel advisory that the Samui airport was closed for several hours for weather reasons, I have been stuck in Toronto and Vancouver myself for hours due to weather, yet this, in my view, is not a reason to cross Canada off my list of places to visit (I love Vancouver, where I've been about 5 times already), nor should it be a good reason in itself for Canadians to avoid coming to Thailand. I have found in my experience in living on four continents in various countries that travel advisories issued by governments don't actually paint a true picture of any newsworthy situation but instead are alarmist and are expressed in the most dire terms. (This is also true of many news reports, but for different reasons.)

In response to the widespread flooding last month, Thais and others, including myself and some of my customers, have stepped up with donations to assist the victims rebuild their lives. Just the fact that there are specific relief efforts going out to those affected should be an indication that this natural disaster is outside the usual course of events here, and further, since things are being taken care of, it's fine to come visit us here in Thailand.

We look forward to welcoming you to paradise, Terry!

I would agree with the suggested dive sites, but would add that you should not waste your money on diving the wreck of the ferry King cruiser. Many day trips combine this site with koh doc mai and shark point or anemone reef. It is now a collapsed heap of rusted scrap and very disapointing.
Agree, as a wreck it is nothing special, I never really liked it from the beginning, but the place is teeming with life.

With a good guide this really can be a very enjoyable divesite.

thanks for the clarification Quero,

No harm and I know what you mean about being stuck in weather within Canada, including floods for anyone that has been around Saguenay Quebec.

Looking forward to visiting Thailand in Feb.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom