Advice needed for March Trip to Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into diving the Philippines in early March but as there are several great regions to see I need a bit of help narrowing down my options. Based on my needs, can anyone help?

I'm single AOW diver (non-nitrox), looking to get at least 20 dives on a small budget..about £1000-£1200, on a liveaboard or Land based. I'm interested in seeing big stuff like the Whale Sharks & Pacific Mantas at Donsol, maybe the Threshers at Malapascua but also the small stuff too like lots of Nudis. I'm not interested in any night life drinking or luxury accom, just there to dive and photograph. Does anyone know of 1 or 2 cheap liveaboards that suit my needs and budget..or maybe a combination of land based resorts? Are there any must-see areas/sites that shouldn't be missed?

Many thanks for your help
Cheers!

Budget is around US$1,400.00 - $1,700.00. GBP=US$1.44
Southern Leyte for the whaleshark and Malapascua for the Thrasher.
Well within your budget as both places do not offer any night life whatsoever. There are budget acc. on both places as well
You migth even have enough left over to do a nitrox course.
Sea Explorer run dive safari around the region. Give them a call and see what is on offer.

Buy airline ticket soon ! I'm going to Philippines (from US) in August. I bought my ticket last January and very happy that I did. The closer the trip becomes the higher the airfares become !

If you go to Malapascua and want to see threshers you better get nitrox cert. as it will greatly increase your chances and time spent watching them - besides that work on you breathing control.:D I have to work hard to keep it deep and slow especially when they take you swimming from one cleaning station to the next.

My favorite three places - Malapascua, Apo Island -Negros and Alona Beach - Panglao. I don't think you would make with a live aboard on that budget. That's figure is just for diving right?

I'm single AOW diver (non-nitrox), looking to get at least 20 dives on a small budget..about £1000-£1200, on a liveaboard or Land based.

March is the right time for Tubbataha.
It's simply the best diving the Philippines has to offer.
If I were you I would use my whole budget for a Liveaboard trip to Tubbataha.
If your budget is not large enough consider selling your TV, sofa and kitchen appliances.
Don't hesitate.... just do it!

I spend a month this year at Tubbataha. It was fantastic.
:biggrin3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom