Advice: Kelp at La Jolla Cove/Shores vs. Channel Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nippurmagnum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to be in Los Angeles for work in October, and I have a free (read: dive) day on Sunday, October 6.

I am debating whether to drive down to San Diego to shore dive La Jolla Cove/Shores, or whether to drive up to Ventura and do a three-tank charter to the Channel Islands. I've dived both places before, and have enjoyed both, though on one of my trips to the Channel Islands there was lush kelp, and on another trip there was not a strand of kelp to be found.

So my main question is, how is the kelp doing at La Jolla Cove/Shores, vs. the Channel Islands this time of year? Would you all recommend one over the other for kelp/marine life around the time I'll be going? Thanks in advance.

Depends on which of the Channel Islands you are considering. There is a very wide range of temperatures between the northern n ad southern, and western and eastern islands. And of course that affects kelp health.

Depends on which of the Channel Islands you are considering. There is a very wide range of temperatures between the northern n ad southern, and western and eastern islands. And of course that affects kelp health.

The two charters I've done on the Channel Islands have been on the Raptor out of Ventura, and both times the Raptor went to Anacapa. First time the kelp was lush and it was great diving. Second time, a year later, there was no kelp at all. I imagine the Raptor would go to Anacapa again, that seems to be their default. And the main reason I am looking at the Raptor again is that they are running a charter on the day that I happen to be free. I'd be completely open to diving another boat/island if it was an option.

There's also the Point Loma Kelp beds (boat off San Diego) No idea what condition they're in.

I have never seen any kelp at the Shores...

Since you're going to be in LA, check with Pacific Wilderness also, sometimes there's Kelp out off the old Marineland site which I believe they shore dive.

The two charters I've done on the Channel Islands have been on the Raptor out of Ventura, and both times the Raptor went to Anacapa. First time the kelp was lush and it was great diving. Second time, a year later, there was no kelp at all. I imagine the Raptor would go to Anacapa again, that seems to be their default. And the main reason I am looking at the Raptor again is that they are running a charter on the day that I happen to be free. I'd be completely open to diving another boat/island if it was an option.
I would do the 3 tank trip on the Raptor, personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom