Advice for getting dives done to start DM program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orfreediver

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to get some advice on getting roughly 35 dives in a very short period so I can start my DM program. I am also doing this on my own without a dive buddy. If you have some suggestions I would appreciate the help.

I should add that I am kind of on a budget, so I need to stay on the cheap side of things.

Thanks for the help,
Derek

I think you should re-evaluate.

Part of being a DM is to make good decisions and be a good role model.

Since the actual dive count requirement, which is argued continuously as too little is:

Have at least 40 dives to begin the course and 60 for certification

So you need 35 dives which means you have only 5 dives. You also need AOW and Rescue in order to start DM. You can't rush experience. Get active, meet some buddies and go dive. Go as often as you can. Dive, dive, dive.

Seriously, meet people and go dive. Worry about DM later.

Last edited:
OP -- perhaps you need to rethink your program here. Would you want a DM who had done his program "on the cheap?"

As previously said, take your time - learn how to dive -- REALLY learn. Get experiences. THEN think about "going pro."

One more thing to think about...

SDI requires 100 dives for solo certification. There is a very good reason for this. At 5 dives, you're not experienced enough to know when something is potentially going wrong and when to take action to save yourself. You're not well versed enough in gas planning, gear requirements, and emergency response.

Find a good buddy, get a bunch of dives in varying conditions and environments, get your rescue certification and then look into DM.

The course will still be there when you're truly ready!

You can post weekends that you are available and try to get together with some other divers to do local dives. You can start building more experience and talk to divers with more dives and training.

Wanting to become a DM quickly is one thing, but to want to get the dives in quickly and alone is not going to help you any bit in the long run. As said above, find out when your dive shop has groups going out. Observe the DM or diver in charge of that group if you get the change to go out diving with them. Take note of how he controls the group and assists when needed. If you don't already have much experience (sorry, that's only an assumption), diving without a buddy will not help you improve your skills. Buddies are there for your safety, as is a dive master for the safety of other divers. Become a good buddy first, then take the next step.

rhuntley, now this is what I am talking about for advice....thank you. Also I would never dive alone, that is part of my problem right now. Looking to get contacts through this site so I can meet people local.

If you read the posts carefully, you will see that what they were referring to is that you really can't skimp on the experience part of learning to dive. Rushing to get 100 dives means nothing if all of them are done in a lake. Being a DM means that you have the experience in different types of environments to where you can be comfortable leading others and the experience to know what to do when the crap hits the fan. I am also not a fan of the zero to hero mentality as I have had freshly minted DM's that couldn't even navigate a simple reef.

It's not about how much you've spent becoming a DM. It's about how good a diver you are, how good a mentor you are, and how well you can help an instructor.

Check Facebook and Meetup too, there are lots of groups of divers there and you can find buddies and dive outings to gain experience.

Not really the type of advice I was looking for but thank you for the input. I have done a lot of research and decided that I am pursuing getting my instructor certification so that I can teach something that I love.

Nothing wrong with that but in order to teach you have to know how to dive. Personally I don't care if you dive "on the cheap". However, you need experience and you don't have it and don't seem prepared to go about getting it organically. You're rushing and that is a major concern.

I wouldn't train someone who came to me in that big of a hurry. I've seen the damage that incompetent DM's can do and I can pretty much guarantee you that if you maintain this tempo right now that you're going to be an incompetent DM. You probably don't want to hear that, but you must. You might not think that's a problem, but it is.

That said, if someone very eager came to me with a desire to become a DM and requested "focused mentoring" to prepare them with a good foundation for starting then I would be more than happy to accommodate that.

Once again, nothing wrong with your goal. Everything wrong with rushing.

R..

Back
Top Bottom