Advice for first regulator purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty28t

Registered
Reaction score
I posted this in the regulator section, but haven't gotten any responses. I've been purchasing my gear based on the DIR style of diving, so maybe you guys can better answer my question

Does anyone have any opinions on the OMS workhorse, to be used almost exclusively in the cold fresh water (40-45F) of the great lakes?

I’m on a tight budget, so I figure this would be an initial good cheap entry reg. setup pairing it with a brass and glass SPG that could be transferred to a stage bottle when more money becomes available for a better primary (environmentally sealed) set-up.

What do you guys think, is this a good idea? Thanks in advance for your input!

--S

Personally I wouldn't feel too comfortable with an unbalanced flow by piston regulator in 40- 45 degree water. Especially if you're talking about going very deep. I'd be looking at an enviro sealed balanced regulator for the Great Lakes.

Why not look into a quality used regulator? I've purchased a couple of really good quality cold water capable regs for under $150 for first and second stage. Just be sure to factor in the cost of a service if you do buy used.

Jim

I posted this in the regulator section, but haven't gotten any responses. I've been purchasing my gear based on the DIR style of diving, so maybe you guys can better answer my question

Does anyone have any opinions on the OMS workhorse, to be used almost exclusively in the cold fresh water (40-45F) of the great lakes?

I’m on a tight budget, so I figure this would be an initial good cheap entry reg. setup pairing it with a brass and glass SPG that could be transferred to a stage bottle when more money becomes available for a better primary (environmentally sealed) set-up.

What do you guys think, is this a good idea? Thanks in advance for your input!

--S

No question, a sealed diaphram is far more suited to cold Great Lakes diving than a piston. The Diverites would work for shallow, warmer, summertime stuff for now and accept a seal kit for deeper colder stuff down the road. Frequently available used.

Thanks for you input! I think I will hold out for a new APEKS XTX50 and pair it up with a used octo/SPG to keep the cost down. I'm working the dive shop for a good deal on the XTX50!

Thanks again!

I use two Sherwood Magnum first stages on my doubles. I dive up in Lake Michigan and colder areas quite frequently. They are quite bulletproof, balanced, environmentally sealed, and very inexpensive. As an added bonus, they are very simple to service, and parts kits are very cheap. They can also be Oxygen cleaned fairly easily.

The one thing you need to be aware of is that the first stage lets out a slow stream of bubbles, and you need to tell your buddy so that he knows when he does the bubble check.

Tom

PS: Not a lot of people use these regs, but I simply love them. I think they've gotten a bad name since they're so cheap, and very common in rental stock.

Or you could buy a couple of these and then transfer them to stages/deco bottles or argon later. I am using these for my doubles regs right now with apeks seconds and they are working great together. I pretty much always dive cold murky water. Last weekend water temps were about 40 ish depending on who's gauge you believe.

I've been happy with them.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...-diaphragm-first-stages-yoke-din-60-each.html

Hunter

Or you could buy a couple of these and then transfer them to stages/deco bottles or argon later. I am using these for my doubles regs right now with apeks seconds and they are working great together. I pretty much always dive cold murky water. Last weekend water temps were about 40 ish depending on who's gauge you believe.

I've been happy with them.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...-diaphragm-first-stages-yoke-din-60-each.html

Hunter

Hi Hunter,

I think I might do this! Did you enviro seal yours for the extra 20$, or are you using them unsealed?

Thanks!!!

Thanks for you input! I think I will hold out for a new APEKS XTX50 and pair it up with a used octo/SPG to keep the cost down. I'm working the dive shop for a good deal on the XTX50!

Thanks again!
I have XTX100s and love them.

The second stages are essentially the same as the XTX50, there are only very minor cosmetic differences between them.

The difference is that the first stage for the XTX50 you are looking at is a modified version of the DST which has that silly rotating turret. I used to own one and hated it because it was always rotating the hoses the wrong direction at the wrong time (i.e. suiting up on a pitching boat).

The XTX100 comes with the FST aka the Flathead or you could get the DS4 first stage matched up with the XTX50 second stage for less money than the XTX50 your LDS wants to sell you. And there is always the XTX200 with the FSR which has especially nice hose routing for single tank diving. IMO, any of those first stages is preferable to the DST. FYI.

FWIW, under no circumstances should you let them up sell you to the Status versions of any of these regs, that is scuba gimmickry at its worst.

Edit: Except for the DS4, there are older versions of these first stage with three 3/8" LP ports and one strangely sized 1/2" LP port that was always a bit a nuisance, don't buy one of those unless you can get it discounted. The XTX versions will all have four 3/8" LP ports.

I have XTX100s and love them.

The second stages are essentially the same as the XTX50, there are only very minor cosmetic differences between them.

The difference is that the first stage for the XTX50 you are looking at is a modified version of the DST which has that silly rotating turret. I used to own one and hated it because it was always rotating the hoses the wrong direction at the wrong time (i.e. suiting up on a pitching boat).

The XTX100 comes with the FST aka the Flathead or you could get the DS4 first stage matched up with the XTX50 second stage for less money than the XTX50 your LDS wants to sell you. And there is always the XTX200 with the FSR which has especially nice hose routing for single tank diving. IMO, any of those first stages is preferable to the DST. FYI.

FWIW, under no circumstances should you let them up sell you to the Status versions of any of these regs, that is scuba gimmickry at its worst.

Edit: Except for the DS4, there are older versions of these first stage with three 3/8" LP ports and one strangely sized 1/2" LP port that was always a bit a nuisance, don't buy one of those unless you can get it discounted. The XTX versions will all have four 3/8" LP ports.

That is really good to know. I'm going to try to get the 60$ first stage, but if they are out, then I will look into this route. I'm a struggling graduate student with time to dive, but limited funds! When I graduate, I will have the funds but limited time....

thanks again,

--S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom