Advice for diving with JDC this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwants2dive

Glowstick
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok Jupiter Gurus. Here's what I am thinking. Dive the Friday afternoon 2 tank stay over night and diving both the morning 2 tank and afternoon 2 tank. My questions are:
1. Should I book the same boat for both trips Saturday ( I think I know this one)?
2. Do they fill Nitrox and how much per fill if so (website doesn't list fill prices)?
3. Would there be time between trips 1 and 2 Saturday to have my tanks filled or should I bring 2 sets and have the Friday tanks filled Saturday morning while I am out on trip one?
4. Is there parking right there?
5. Am I nuts for cramming that much in 2 days?
6. Anyone else going out with them this weekend?

1. If doing 4 dives in one day with JDC, it's a good idea to book the same boat for both trips.
2. Yes but your tanks must be O2 clean. If they aren't O2 clean they won't fill them even though they use banked Nitrox. The topic has been long debated. It doesn't help to argue with them. They will NOT fill tanks with Nitrox that are not marked O2 clean on the VIP sticker. This is why I don't get fills at JDC. I use Force-E in Riviera Beach.
3. Yes they will allow time for you to fill tanks but see #2 above. Personally, when doing 4 dives with them I bring 4 tanks. You will NOT have time to run out for lunch so bring food.
4. Yes, parking is right at the shop/boats.
5. Probably. You might want to consider sticking with 2 Fri and 2 Sat. What you're planning is 6 pretty deep dives in 2 successive days. And then driving back to the other coast Saturday evening. It's doable (I've done it) but it is exhausting. Very exhausting. Allow yourself to stop and nap at a rest stop if you have to on the way back.
6. I'm diving with JDC on Sunday on their 3-tank trip. I'm diving with Pura Vida Saturday morning.

There is no reason not to fill a empty tank with NITROX. For that matter even a partial tank that is analyzed can be safely filled with NITROX... Even it it's banked.

I'll add some additional thoughts:

1. Yes, but it's not essential. The boats are docked right next to each other. It's literally just a matter of picking up your bag and moving it to the other boat.
  2. I think it's ~$12/fill for a steel 100.
  3. Plenty of time to refill your tanks between trips. I do it frequently. Tell the boat crew that you're getting them filled when you are back at the dock and they will bring them up to the shop for you. Once in the shop just tell Sam or Maddux that you need them filled for the afternoon dive and they'll hook them up for you right there. Easy. I'd also recommend bringing your lunch as you may or may not have time to run out and get something between trips.
  4. Yup
  5. I'll disagree with DivingPapaw. If you're coming from out of town, get as much diving in as you can. 6 dives over two days is not excessive. The weather is looking favorable so take advantage of it. They are relatively deep dives in the 60-90 foot range, so just keep that in mind (particularly on Saturday) and don't push your NDLs. You should be fine to get full 45 min dives every dive on EAN36.
  6. Outside chance on be on one of their Saturday morning boats. Will let you know.

Ok Jupiter Gurus..... Anyone else going out with them this weekend?
Outside chance on be on one of their Saturday morning boats. Will let you know.
I'm on the JDC Republic VII (7...not the 4) on Saturday am only.
Fair warning that you will be mandatory 'Test Candidate Subjects" during the surface interval with requested Scathing / Brutally honest reviews on a new BOAT-FOOD item I'm bringing. It's never been done before on an 18 diver 2 tank boat, and I've failed 3 times in my test kitchen > but I think I've got it dialed in. Dive report to be posted. Just looked & 7 spots still available on the R7

Saturday nite is the big PBCDA fund raiser party at Loggerhead Rescue and I'll be there. Sunday is a late sleep in then on Kyalami at 10am. Saturday will be nice,,,Sunday > bumpy but doable.

I'll disagree with DivingPapaw. If you're coming from out of town, get as much diving in as you can. 6 dives over two days is not excessive. The weather is looking favorable so take advantage of it. They are relatively deep dives in the 60-90 foot range, so just keep that in mind (particularly on Saturday) and don't push your NDLs. You should be fine to get full 45 min dives every dive on EAN36.

I frequently disagree with myself on this point!! I occasionally do 6 dives in 2 days when I drive over for the weekend. My biggest caution to Ed was that he's then driving back to the west coast Saturday evening. You live locally @CosbySweater so you don't have all that diving followed by a 3 hr drive. It's certainly doable, you just need to be prudent on the drive home.

I'm on the JDC Republic VII (7...not the 4) on Saturday am only.
Fair warning that you will be mandatory 'Test Candidate Subjects" during the surface interval with requested Scathing / Brutally honest reviews on a new BOAT-FOOD item I'm bringing. It's never been done before on an 18 diver 2 tank boat, and I've failed 3 times in my test kitchen > but I think I've got it dialed in. Dive report to be posted. Just looked & 7 spots still available on the R7

Saturday nite is the big PBCDA fund raiser party at Loggerhead Rescue and I'll be there. Sunday is a late sleep in then on Kyalami at 10am. Saturday will be nice,,,Sunday > bumpy but doable.
Well then I will see you there I am on the republic 7 also. Look out on the food I am somewhat of an amateur chef myself ( I am sure it will be tasty).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom