advice for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I am new to diving, I actually get my open water certification next weekend. I am tooooo excited:D. I don't want to buy eveything new. Although I would love to shell out $2000.00 if I had it, but I don't. So used will have to do for now unless I hit the lottery. I would like to know what is a good brand for a regulator, and BC? I found a brand TOMMYDSPORT on ebay, but haven't seen or heard of it before! Has anyone else? I will probally dive once or twice a month till I can get my boyancy under control and get the hang of it. Any advice for a new diver? I live in GA and will be diving in lakes and the ocean!

If it were me, I'd start off slow, buying mask, fins & wetsuit first and renting the rest for right now until you see how you like it and what kind of diving you're going to be doing. Buy your BCD after you have 10-20 dives. For that I'd suggest a weight integrated back inflate BCD.

Build slowly so you don't make a mistake. When you get to regulators wait until you can afford new ones.

I agree with the above advice. Only thing I can add is you said you prob dive only once or twice a month til you get your bouyancy under control. The more you dive the easier it will get so dive as often as you can. It will come to you.

I agree, mask, fins, snorkle, booties and maybe a wetsuit, otherwise wait a while. Rent or borrow some gear for a while and get a feel for what you like before buying.
As for Ebay and Tommydsport, my best advise is to stay away from them. Ebay can be great or a huge waste of money, not the place for a novice IMO. Never heard of the Tommydsport, best you stick with known brands for now. Used local gear from your LDS or Craigslist can be good deals but again you need to have a feel for what you want and what it's worth..not necessarily what the owner thinks it's worth. Keep in mind that if you buy used, it really should be checked by a shop before diving it and most likely they will want to do a full service on the reg which is going to run you in the $100-150 range depending on the shop and reg. Not saying a used reg is not a good deal but you do need to figure in this cost. BCs are easier, if it holds air and the inflator works, you are good to go and repair cost on bad inflators is fairly low.

Drop Slonda828 a message. He is in your neck of the woods and may be close, bet he would be happy to dive with you once you get your cert.

what is your budget, a good BP/W system can be had for around $500 or less, a good first and second stage can be had for under $300, mask & fins w/ springs about $120 and a wetsuit system for super cheap to way expensive.

I have never heard of that brand, here are some good ones:

Deep Sea Supply (DSS)
Dive Rite
Scubapro
Henderson
Whites
DUI
OMS
Zeagle
Suunto
Uwatec
Salvo
Oxycheq

We dive on a budget, in warm water. I looked at Tommy D gear, as I heard about their suits. The reviews here on Scubaboard for the wetsuits are "good for the money".

A suit around here rents for $15, so a $49 Tommy D suit could fall apart at the end of the Summer and still be economical. I really like the low priced Akona suit from Leisure Pro. It has lasted my daughter for years.

I believe their regulator is from China, and the BC is looks like Scuba L brand from Viet Nam.

I'd pass on the Tommy BC and regulator and would look at a basic package deal from Leisure Pro or Scuba Toys. Oceanic and Mares are available on line and we use them with good results.

Have fun with it.

My advice is basically what other posters already mentioned, I prefer to wait instead of buying used equipment, specially regs. I would buy in that order...

1 - Basics first, mask and fins
2 - Thermal protection, wetsuit, in my opinion 5 mm is the best to start
3 - Regs (I recommend Scubapro or Apeks, but that is personal opinion, what I think is important is to buy them new and balanced)
4 - BC or BP/W, try diferent models first, if you come to like backinflate BC, you might like even more BP/W, so I would go directly to BP/W, but again, personal opinion.

Where are some good places in GA and Flordia to dive?

Back
Top Bottom