Advice - DiveRite TPH or FredT w/ Oxycheq

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChickenBone

Registered
Reaction score
greetings,

I've read through all the recent posts concerning BP & W setups, and I have narrowed my choices down. After extensive research I have basically decided on either the DiveRite TransPlate Harness or the Fred T SS plate with an Oxycheq wing. Both seem to get great reviews.

This will be primarily a single tank configuration (possibly doubles in the future, but not for awhile). Cold water setup, and I'll most likely be adding a pony bottle, and it does not need to be DIR compliant. If I go with the DiveRite, I'll probably get the 'Venture' wing, as that seems to be designed specifically for singles. And if anyone knows, does the Venture require a STA?

If anyone has used both setups and has pro's and cons or would recommend one over the other (or even has a better setup to recommend, I'd appreciate any advice). It's possible that I've read TOO much about different rigs and now I can't make up my mind. Also, does FredT make harnesses as well? Thanks for the help.

ChickenBone:
greetings,

I've read through all the recent posts concerning BP & W setups, and I have narrowed my choices down. After extensive research I have basically decided on either the DiveRite TransPlate Harness or the Fred T SS plate with an Oxycheq wing. Both seem to get great reviews.

This will be primarily a single tank configuration (possibly doubles in the future, but not for awhile). Cold water setup, and I'll most likely be adding a pony bottle, and it does not need to be DIR compliant. If I go with the DiveRite, I'll probably get the 'Venture' wing, as that seems to be designed specifically for singles. And if anyone knows, does the Venture require a STA?

If anyone has used both setups and has pro's and cons or would recommend one over the other (or even has a better setup to recommend, I'd appreciate any advice). It's possible that I've read TOO much about different rigs and now I can't make up my mind. Also, does FredT make harnesses as well? Thanks for the help.

I currently own a DiveRite TransPlate system, a custom FredT 9-lb plate with standard harness, and a Koplin-designed Oxycheq system with a standard harness. All are nice systems.

Yes, FredT makes harnesses as well. His gear is high quality. I won't counsel you one way or the other as to your purchase. But I will tell you that I consider his design to be more optimal for doubles than singles, due to the bend of the plate and depth of the channel. When I used his plate in a singles configuration, I noticed that it held my cylinder a bit further away from my body than either of the other two. For doubles, this isn't an issue ... in fact, I far prefer Fred's plate for my doubles because it just feels more comfortable. And of them all I consider it to be the best workmanship.

The Oxycheq plate has a shallower channel and less bend overall. For singles it's an optimal plate, because even with the STA it holds the cylinder very close to your body. It has cam band slots, which makes it possible to use with an STA-less wing like the Halcyon ... if that's what you decide to do.

The DR plate is similar in terms of bend and channel depth to the Oxycheq, but is longer and less rounded in the corners. For some physiques this might be a concern, as the corners tend to dig into the hip area. Also, the DR plate doesn't have cam band slots.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ChickenBone,

Most backplates require an STA. I've got one of the newer diverite ones that has slots cut into it for tank bands so that (in theory...) you don't need an STA. I have one friend that has used it without. When I set mine up, I found that no matter how tightly I cranked my tank bands down, my tank would still shift on the backplate. I ended up getting an STA for two reasons:

1. To securely hold my tank in place
2. With an STA, the tank straps are threaded through the STA and not the plate. This way, when I want to use my doubles I just unbolt the STA and bolt in my doubles. Otherwise, you have to unthread the tank bands.

However, for my fiance, we went the easy route. We just took a section of PVC pipe, cut it, beveled the edges and bolted it to the plate. She doesn't dive doubles (yet...) so she doesn't have to worry about threading/unthreading the tank bands. The PVC pipe was cheap and it works great - considerably less expensive than an STA.

Like Bob I have an old DR backplate that I use with a STA, which works just fine. Two actually, one ss and one alu, both with their own continous harnesses. The current DR backplate has slots for cam bands.

I use the same STA and 45lbs. single tank (oval) Oxycheq wing with both plates. What I like about the Oxycheq wing is that the deflated size is almost the same as the 30lbs. wing. I have one of the early ones and would get the Signature Series wing instead. Easier to repair when damaged, though so far I never had a problem with mine.

I just paid for a FredT - still diving single for a while, but have plans to go to a double in the future, hence I am buying for future plans. A LOT of consideration went into what to get and I based my decision on the high recommendations of others and then decided to support a fellow SBer that I hope to dive with one day vs. a company with a name brand signature and thats about it. I have full confidence in his workmanship and quality based on those who referred me to him. :)

I have the FredT (Alum) Plate w/ light STA and Oxy 45lb wing, works very well together, and very stable underwater. It may be that this combinastion moves the tank further away from your back but not having been diving in another backplate setup , i cant say for sure. I was previously using a transpac with travel wing and found the FredT bp to be an improvement. Im sure you wont go wrong with either but I am still happy with where my money went

Thanx for all the replies (even though the subject has been beaten to death in other posts, you still take the time to answer questions - much appreciated).

I will most likely be purchasing the TransPlate Harness this week. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to dive with it if anyone is interested.

ChickenBone:
Thanx for all the replies (even though the subject has been beaten to death in other posts, you still take the time to answer questions - much appreciated).

I will most likely be purchasing the TransPlate Harness this week. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to dive with it if anyone is interested.

Please do let us know what you think ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

UPDATE:

After (even more) careful consideration, I have chosen the Koplin designed Oxycheq system w/ a 45# singles wing. I chose this for a few reasons:

1. Plate sizing. They actually have a choice of sizes to choose from. I'm a skinny guy. I don't know for sure, but perhaps the square shape of the Dive-Rite plate might dig into the ol' bony hips. So, I picked a medium size plate. Plus, As NWGratefulDiver pointed out, the bend in the plate is perhaps a little more suited for singles.

2. With the STA, I can add 6 more pounds and it only puts the tank a fraction further away from my body. (i think only a 1/4"). Plus, I can choose the lightweight adapter when need be.

3. (This may be of interest to people shopping for a rig!) As of about Sept. 10, Oxycheq will have a harness very similar to that of the Transplate Harness. Kind of an evolution of the A pac, but for a plate. It is primarily for those of us who do not prefer continous webbing, one-piece rigs. I've been assured it will be even better than the TransPlate Harness. (of course that was from a company rep. so i'm sure he'd be a little biased :) Also, they are introducing an aluminum plate as well.

4. The overall versatility and what seems like a rock-solid construction. I can configure this thing just about any way I want to and for any type of conditions. and the wings seem to be bullet-proof. won't know 'til I dive with it, but seems that way at least.

I have to wait about 2 weeks or so, but I will give a report when I've had a chance to use it. I spoke to a guy by the name of Patrick at the company. Very friendly and very helpful over the phone. i'm sold.

(thx again to everyone for the input.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom