[advice] Amed, Bali, Japanese Wreck - Mantis Shrimp video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazy_about_scuba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I've been in Amed for a couple of weeks and thought I'd share my experiences here as well as post a little clip of a video on a dive at the Japanese shipwreck.

I recommend diving in Amed, and prefer it as a base to Tulamben (I was there for 4 weeks). There are much more dive sites here, lots more to do topside, and all the local operators drive to Tulamben anyway - although I would say that the best time to dive on the wreck is 6:30AM or 8PM... so you're better off staying in Tulamben for a night or two. I STRONGLY recommend Liberty Dive Resort for staying in Tulamben. It's the best dive resort I've ever stayed at. It's hard to fault. It's been designed from the ground-up with divers in mind - and it's a very polished operation.

Anyway, getting onto Amed and the Japanese shipwreck dive site... The wind here makes a MASSIVE difference to conditions and viz at shallow (<10m) depths - so much so that I don't recommend diving the Japanese shipwreck if there's much wind. Wind here brings waves and swell, and the shipwreck is so shallow that conditions deteriorate very quickly to very poor viz with massive amounts of backscatter.

High tide is the best time to dive the wreck. Ask your dive shop what the tide is going to be like when you plan to dive the wreck. If they don't know - they should do... not a good sign!

Lunar cycle
also makes a big difference. Don't dive shallow at full moon - there will be waves, current, and poor viz. Head deeper.

Getting in and out of the water
Diving the wreck is from shore, not boat. The shore isn't sand unfortunately - pebbles - and can be tricky... Very tricky when there are waves. I saw a very slight Japanese woman diver really struggle getting in the other day and felt the operator shouldn't have taken her there - getting into the water under stress is never a good idea, it can be exhausting (some guides and DMs that do this day-in and day-out forget how tricky a difficult entry can be). It's not a good way to start a dive. She would have been much better doing a boat dive further up in Jemeluk.

Snorkelling do yourself a favour and do a recky first... Go snorkelling at the shipwreck by yourself the day before (you can park there, there's a cafe there so relax and have a coffee/snack). Go about the same time as you plan to dive the next day. It's a great site to snorkel - the wreck is only 20m from the shore, and there's lots to see, don't just stick to the wreck. The shipwreck is so shallow that it's one of the best wrecks I've been to snorkelling.

I try to snorkel all my shallow shore dives now before I dive. It's a great habit to get into - and really helps you visualise your entry and plan your dive.

What should I do if there's wind, waves & swell? Go to another dive site, or if you must go to the wreck site - go deeper (see video below). In my experience if it's choppy or windy, things are fine once you get below 10m or so. I recommend going to Jemeluk or Bunutan - they both have walls at their points and stay below 10m.

Happy diving - there's lots to see in Amed :)

Here's a video of a lovely Mantis Shrimp at 12m; 10mins into the dive heading west from the wreck. Conditions on the wreck were dreadful... so we headed out going deeper and had a great dive :)

[video=youtube;9XXd7CI9JaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XXd7CI9JaY[/video]

More diving videos from Amed and Tulamben here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyAboutScuba

Last edited:
Have you been to Gili Selang yet?

Fantastic drift dive

John N

@JohnN Hi.

Yes - but unfortunately we were swimming INTO the current for most of the dive :(
A real shame... didn't enjoy the dive (it was exhausting, hard work - not fun), but it looked like an awesome dive site if we had entered at the other end and drifted!

I'm going to post a dive report about it. I was warned by the dive operator that there's likely to be current - but I wasn't expecting to dive INTO the current the whole dive... Who dives into current? (I never have before).

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:01 PM ----------

I've got a similar set up. Really like the Backscatter with magic filter.

Here is a clip from Komodo earlier this month:

Komodo - Black Manta - YouTube

@Will cracking video :) Wish I could afford to go to Komodo & Liveaboard. Maybe in a year or two...

As a matter of interest, what filter do you use >20m?

I'm finding that the magic filter is poor >20m. Is there anything you recommend?

I'm thinking about the URPro Cyan (CY) Filter:
http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com/URPro.html

Just the magic - I am a serious top side photographer, but a newbie with underwater or video. Here is a still with the GoPro with no filter:

GOPR1813 (5x7).jpg

The local fishing boats (yes those dugouts) will haul you to the island. Local dive shops arrange it, but you could most likely contract them to haul you.

Yes that current is way too strong to swim, that is what makes it such a nice drift.

Regards,

John N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom