Advanced diving course on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am new to diving and really enjoy it! I’ve only dived in Indonesia when I got my open water..so only 5 times I’ve been. I am considering taking a trip to Egypt and Jordan in May/June. I would love to dive in the Red Sea and would really like to try a liveaboard, are there any that offer an advanced diving course? Or would it be best to get it at resort somewhere in like Hurghada then go on a liveaboard.

Any advice would help greatly! Also any general tips about Egypt and Jordan would help a lot too, just in the very early stages of planning this trip!
Jordan.

First I think there is a legal limit of 50 dives minimum before you are allowed to dive red sea!
Second I've never done a liveaboard but most if not all I've seen are (very) expensive. I don't think it is wise to spend so much money to be on some of the world's best reefs to do a course that you can do nearly anywhere else, cheaper and arguably more effectively

First I think there is a legal limit of 50 dives minimum before you are allowed to dive red sea!

In Egypt there isn't any law regarding minimum dives, maybe a specific dive club but as a whole no. i've seen people with less then 20 dives there.
I haven't dove in Jordan but im also pretty sure that there is not law like this, how ever cant say for sure.

Hello, I am new to diving and really enjoy it! I’ve only dived in Indonesia when I got my open water..so only 5 times I’ve been. I am considering taking a trip to Egypt and Jordan in May/June. I would love to dive in the Red Sea and would really like to try a liveaboard, are there any that offer an advanced diving course? Or would it be best to get it at resort somewhere in like Hurghada then go on a liveaboard.

Any advice would help greatly! Also any general tips about Egypt and Jordan would help a lot too, just in the very early stages of planning this trip!
Jordan.

I think you should do your course before you go, Red sea has some amazing dive spots and it will be a shame to "waste" such places on your course, you will not enjoy your dive as much because you will be focusing on learning.

You will enjoy Egypt very much, very friendly people and great food. Just came back from there a month ago.

Previous posts are not true. Firstly, there are different itineraries in liveaboards. Some of them say that you need 50 dives and be at least AOWD in order to join, however, there are liveabords were new divers are welcome as well.

Liveabords in Red sea usually one of the cheapest. You can easily find options where 7 nights liveabord will cost you less than USD 1,000. Look at liveabord deals in liveabord.com and PADI Travel website. I am pretty sure that you will find deal that suits to you. Also, most pf liveabords provide options to get AOWD and Nitrox certifications. .

Previous posts are not true. Firstly, there are different itineraries in liveaboards. Some of them say that you need 50 dives and be at least AOWD in order to join, however, there are liveabords were new divers are welcome as well.
Sorry I used the wrong words. Obviously the 50 dives minimum is not a requirement for the WHOLE red sea. It was a requirement though to enter some of the nicest parks etc in liveaboards I considered in the past. Sorry it's been a while and I don't remember details.
Also about the AOW of course it is possible to do it, but is it advisable? I wouldn't say so. To spend all these money (the OP seems to be from Canada - traveling to Egypt cannot be cheap) to do helicopter turns and square or spiral search patterns or whatever else instead of enjoying the fish, the corrals, and scenery sounds not worthy to me.
I let people with more experience further comment on these.

You can do the AOW on an LOB, but, I think they:
- do not have the lowest prices for those classes
- may not give you the best class ... I've seen someone do the coursework and then join the regular dives for the class, but with a dedicated instructor...
- you pay twice. All the dives are already paid for and say you pay the same amount as for a land based class on that LOB, the say 5 dives you do, and pay for by paying for the class, you loose those dives of your LOB dives... you will not be coming with 5 more dives off the boat. If you do all dives, yoy walk off the boat with the same dive count as anyone else who did not take a class and did all dives.

So, if you can take the class first, you actually do get 5 dives out of it (versus net sum none on the LOB) ... and you may be enjoying your early LOB dives a bit more because you should be an improved diver (with still lots to learn and realize) after the class.

I recently (September) did the Red Sea Aggressor II (Northern Route) and there was 1 person who only had 6 or so dives with only the OW cert. For most dives, he stayed with the dive guides and he did fine throughout the week. I think the only dives he was not allowed on was the few dives on/in the Thistlegorm wreck and maybe the Giannis D wreck as well. The dive guides did offer him the AOW/nitrox class, but he didn't want to take it. Liveaboards in Egypt are cheap, the Aggressor was my first liveaboard and highly recommend. Right now the Aggressor II is 49% off normal price.

I spent time in Amman, Petra, and Wadi Rum - in Jordan. Also did the Cairo, Luxor, & Aswan (Abu Simbel) sites- before the liveaboard. Feel free to message with any questions.

I have dived in Jordan and Egypt, and the latter if far, far better. I have done the OW and AOW (just done Rescue in Sharm last week) and have about 160 dives (land-based and on liveaboards) in Red Sea, Komodo, Nusa Lembongan, and Thailand. My advice to you would be not necessarily to go for a liveaboard, but do the AOW with a good dive club (I generally use Cameldive at Sharm): it will not take long (2 days max, I think) and you will then be able to dive the best spots there: Tiran and Ras Mohammed). I think you will enjoy a liveaboard more if you have more dives under your belt.

These are my two cents: whatever you choose, hope you enjoy your trip!

Best,

Rene

I just dived the Red Sea in Sept/Oct. I did land based for 4 days and did 14 days on a liveaboard. Liveaboards that are going to the marine parks or southern itineraries generally want at least 50 dives and/or AOW.

My suggestion is to go to Hurghada or Port Ghalib/Marsa Alam and do your AOW there. You can get it done in a couple of days, get back on the groove of things, and then maybe join a liveaboard. For land based, I stayed at the Marriott Hurghada which is an excellent resort with great beach and pool facilities. I dived with Voodoo Divers and they are very, very good. I’ve been to a lot of dive shops around the world so I do not say this casually. Top notch op with excellent safety and crew. The land based diving out of Hurghada is very good.

Contrary to belief, the Red Sea’s liveaboards are best value, followed by Thailand, then Philippines. A 7 day will be around $1000-$1200, and that is with free nitrox and on a fancy boat. Less if less fancy. I wouldn’t recommend the Aggressor here unless you get it on sale. To be honest, given the supply available here, they are quite outrageously priced full price and you can get similar crew to guest ratios for a lot less, let alone as nice of a boat, etc. Save your liveaboard budget for somewhere else where there is less supply and prices are firm, like in more remote areas.

I actually wouldn’t suggest a liveaboard for you. 5 dives in, you may not be able to appreciate the 3-4 dives a day on a liveaboard. It is intense and not for everyone. Especially if you get seasick. It’s a lot of time on the boat and quite the schedule and commitment. Looking back at my dive life, i don’t think i would have been able to appreciate it at 5 dives. My skill set and comfort in the water wasn’t ready for it. Additionally, it will likely be that you are the least experienced and your air consumption will cause you to surface sooner than everyone else. You may affect a buddy or even your whole group depending on how the diving is set up. That is a lot of stress and pressure on top of the task load of being a new diver that I wouldn’t want on a liveaboard.

But you may also love it. I guess if you don’t, it’s probably the best way to find out since it’s so inexpensive. I suggest the 3-4 day itineraries instead of the 7 for your first time. There are some that leave from Sharm, not sure about Port Ghalib and Hurghada. Check PADI Travl.

As someone who loves liveaboards and is addicted to it, I still suggest you spend the time doing day trips. You can dive at your leisure and not feel obligated to dive if you aren’t feeling it. Maybe hop onto a 3-4 day if you feel like you want more.

If you do a day trip with Emperor in Port Ghalib, I would do so with a little caution. We had issues diving with them. Please PM me for details.

I toured Egypt and Jordan by land as well after diving. Memphis Tours was excellent and we put together a custom private tour for a group of us. Let me know if you have specific questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom