Question Adrenaline, the decompression pill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Akimbo

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading a book recommended by @Sam Miller III, Man and the Underwater World by Pierre De Latil and Jean Rivoire. It is an history of diving published in 1956 and is more European-centric than most of what I have read. There is a very interesting couple of sentences on Page 266 that caught my attention:

Man and the Underwater World by Pierre De Latil and Jean Rivoire:
At the Faculty of Medicine at Marseilles a research team has discovered by experimenting on cats that an injection of adrenaline will prevent the formation of nitrogen bubbles. To use this knowledge on human beings will no doubt demand the use of analogous but more convenient substances.1.

1 G. Jullien, M. Leandri and L. Blein, Communication au Congres International
de Medecine du Travail et de Medecine legale, Naples, September
1954: "Serious Decompression Accidents,"

Is this an overlooked "magic pill" for decompression or has this been debunked by newer research? The incurable optimist in me is hoping for the former. I attached a PDF file with two pages for more context.

Maybe there is some relation to this theory:

Attachments

• Man and the Underwater World.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
Solution
I would urge caution in the interpretation of studies like this that measure specific markers. The conclusion states, "These results may provide evidence of the potential use of AOX pre-treatment as an effective endothelial pre-conditioner for divers - bold is mine, and those are the operative words. There's been some work on oxidative stress in diving/hyperbaric conditions since 2010, but nothing that would merit a recommendation to take any specific antioxidants to ward off decompression sickness.

Best regards,
DDM

<edit> I would strongly advise that divers do NOT take epinephrine/adrenaline prior to diving. It would have the effect of increasing heart rate and blood pressure and probably inert gas uptake.
I don’t think in the 1950s they had Doppler technology to track silent bubbles in the bloodstream, so I’d take what they said kinda with a grain of salt too.

SeaRat

I don’t think in the 1950s they had Doppler technology to track silent bubbles in the bloodstream, so I’d take what they said kinda with a grain of salt too.

The trouble is there is no consensus even now on the volume of bubbles in the bloodstream that constitutes being bent. I suspect the OK/bent prognosis was based on the cat's body language or reactions when touching target joints.

Animal testing is a pretty fuzzy business. 🐱 OK, that was bad.

Without getting too deep in the weeds here, epinephrine increases heart rate and respiration, which would seem to be a benefit during deco. Probably the same benefit in cats that humans get from mild exercise during a deco stop.

If anyone has an idea of how to get cats to exercise during deco stops, we could create a control group. Laser pointers?

FWIW, pulmonary edema is one of the adverse effects of epinephrine. I think I'll just swim in circles.

Without getting too deep in the weeds here, epinephrine increases heart rate and respiration, which would seem to be a benefit during deco.
With the caveat that this is strictly a thought exercise, injected epinephrine peaks pretty quickly. Used before a dive, it would likely increase on-gassing and have worn off by the time the diver left the bottom to begin decompression, so the overall effect would be detrimental. To have the potential effect you're talking about, it would have to be injected immediately before decompression. The risks of doing this would probably outweigh any theoretical benefit, IOW, please don't try this at home!

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom