Adjusting Dacor Pacer XL 950 second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brilig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for advice on the adjusting of my 33 year old Pacer XL second stage. I am back in the water after a 28 year surface interval and still using the only reg set I've ever owned. I overhauled both the first and second stage and my pressure is dialed in at a steady 140 psi (no creep). The octo reg is a plastic Sherwood second stage that works great. I have the Sherwood dialed in a little tight so it won't free flow and it still breathes easier than the Dacor which has a mild free flow problem. When I am facing down at the bottom the Dacor free flows a little when I'm not inhaling but this problem goes away when I face ahead. If I roll over and face the surface it is difficult to inhale.
So what's the procedure for adjusting the Dacor Pacer XL? I know how to remove the hose and dial in the adjustment from that side but the Pacer XL also has a cap on the regulator on the side opposite the hose that when removed accesses an adjustment screw. I'm thinking there is a procedure that involves using both adjustment points to get the desired results.

Hey Brilig, good to hear from ya again. Do you have the service manual for the reg? If not you can go Vintage Double Hose and download a copy. Anyhow. the metal seat that has the cone on it that your hose connects to against the jam nut is used to set the lever height only. After that the fine tuning will only be through the plug hole on that adjustment screw. It will be hard to adjust if you are using the old hardened up puck seat. A new one is nice and soft and will make a good seal with less spring pressure. The old puck can be used and will work but it will need more spring pressure to seal which makes a little more breathing resistence. Get a copy of the manual as there are several steps to follow to do this.

I was hoping I might get a response from you J.W. Good to hear from you too.
If by the Puck Seat you mean the low pressure seat that contacts the brass cone then yes I did replace that. I think I recall downloading some Dacor instructions that mentioned lever height. I'll look for that and also try the Vintage Double Hose web site.
The truth is that the Sherwood octopus was always a better breather than the Dacor. Maybe the Dacor just came from the factory not perfectly adjusted and I was a brand new diver and not about to try adjusting my own regulator.
Thanks for the information. I'll let you know what happens.

If the screw on the backside is all the way out turn it in 1 complete turn sometimes it takes up to 3 turns.remember to depress the lever as you do this to keep from cutting the seat.

Thanks Cap335. Haven't gotten around to adjusting that reg yet. Maybe tonight!

Here is the manual. I had the same problem and solved it.

Attachments

• Dacor Pacer XL-XLE 2nd stage.pdf
    856.1 KB · Views: 550
Thanks to all for the good advice. :) I made the adjustments using the manual and it feels much improved. I also get a much stronger air flow when using the purge button now. The true test will be in the water but I think it's going to be fine. Any fine tuning will be done by way of the small adjustment screw opposite the hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom