Additional Pockets for BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So when I first bought my gear, I always like simplicity, so I bought the first generation Oceanic Excursion which has barely any storage space. The only pocket it has is this roll down pocket bag which is annoying.
Now as I have been adding things to my hear such has a dye pack, mirror, SMB, etc. I hate leaving that stuff dangling on my D-Rings. Any suggestions on a pocket to put all this stuff?

I saw some shorts that add pockets but that seems overkill. I just need a fanny pack type bag.

My balance was like that and I added one pocket left side. It was an Akona mask soft case,I use that for pocket mask ,smb,whistle. Seems to be fine and doesn't get in the way of anything I will try to post pics tonight for you.
Just one idea

Cheers
Michael

You don't have to pay huge money for a pouch at a SCUBA shop.

I find most of my "pocket" type stuff off the racks at a military surplus type store. Modern production items from Maxpedition or Blackhawk have become quite popular, even with divers.

You can mount them on your BC's waist-belt, as was intimated above... or your weight belt.

I have a Maxpedition pouch that hangs off two micro carabiners clipped to the upper chest d-rings... it rides right below my chin, over the sternum strap of the BC.

My first ''modern BC'' was a mares Dragon with a weight integration system. Even though it had large pockets, they became rather small once the weight system was inserted. Very good BCD but it now hangs on a coat hanger and my son uses it when he dives with me.

I have seen moved on to BP/Wg...no pockets at all. XScuba produces neoprene shorts with two side pockets that you can slip over wet and drysuits, a system I am not using. However, a couple of years ago I purchased a Scubapro two compartment pouch (I probably paid too much money for it too) that I can either clip on my hip D ring and crotch strap O ring or slide it over the belt. I chose the latter ofr my double harness. It is positioned dead center as my clip is offset to the right. In it I can carry backup lites, dive knife, SMB with finger spool, etc.

Last summer my GF also moved to a BP/Wg system and purchased the OMS 10 inch double compartment pouch that I installed the exact same way on her harness. I think she paid arounf 20 dollars for it.

OMS Backplate & Harness Accessories http://www.OMSdive.com

If you consult the link provided you will see different system including thigh pouches that you slide on your weight belt and then clip around your thighs...other companies offer such products. Might want to have a quick look at Leisure pro site as well

Like someone else said, you may be able to get the Thigh Pocket to work and inexpensive.

Dive Rite Thigh Pocket w/Daisy Chain

For your SMB, if you look on the back bottom of the BC there may be some holes through the plastic BP. You can loop some shock cord around them and but mount the SMB, this will obviously free up pocket space as well.

I also added a pocket onto my wetsuit. Works great for me. Now if I can just find places for more D-rings! For the SMB, I've seen someone use a Dive-Right pocket that did attach through the BP (metal) holes. That's on my wish-list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom