Adding some dives to a 7 day work trip to Lisbon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fluff_astrid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In late May I’ll be traveling from Australia to Lisbon for a work conference (arriving there on a Sunday, conference is really only Tuesday-Wednesday, and then arriving back in Australia either the following Sunday or Monday). I just did a big trip to Raja Ampat so won’t have the time off or money to do a big side quest, but I’m wondering if it’s achievable to squeeze in a dive or two as part of the trip. I’ve already been to Lisbon before, so have done all the on-land cultural things.

If a few dives seem achievable, where would those be? Are the Azores too Logistically far flung to attempt? Any actual diving from Lisboa proper? Maybe I’m better off leaving for Sydney earlier and trying to take a few days to dive in one of the stopover locations (either Singapore or somewhere similarly located)? Or perhaps I should just ignore the call to dive on this one and instead head down to Porto and drink my fill of port? :wink:

Thanks!

Near Lisbon, you have both Sesimbra and Berlengas islands but the former is the best diving mainland Portugal has to offer (and just 30 min from Lisbon by car).

If I were you, I would try the Azores though: some of the best dives are Formigas + Dollabarat (from São Miguel or Santa Maria), Baixa do Ambrósio (devil's rays from Santa Maria), blue shark dives (from Faial, there are also blue shark trips in Sesimbra but they require 8 people if i'm not wrong) and Princesa Alice (devil's rays from Faial). Organize your stay with a dive center to make sure you do the ones of the island you go to.

There are whale sharks in Santa Maria in Summer but it's more random than the ones above.

Or just head to Porto, it's a fantastic city for a couple of days. If you want to dive, you have the last german uboat (submarine) that left Germany in WW2. Visibility is very limited though 0-10m.

Thanks awesome details! I think I might stay local or do Porto; it’s probably going to be a stretch to comfortably add more fly time to this trip to get to the Azores, especially given the long trip to and fro home.

Thanks awesome details! I think I might stay local or do Porto; it’s probably going to be a stretch to comfortably add more fly time to this trip to get to the Azores, especially given the long trip to and fro home.

If you come to Porto, try Francesinha (one of our local dishes).

Back
Top Bottom