Adding Pockets to Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldsmoke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering adding pockets to my wet suit. I am thinking of making them removable with velcro or something. Does anyone have any experience with attaching something to a wet suit. Will some sort of glue work or must it be sewed first? Thanks.

Aquaseal neoprene cement should do the trick. Trace the pocket on the suit while you have it on, so you can be sure it's placed where you want. Take it off, and lie the suit flat. Paint a coat of cement on both the back of the pocket and inside the traced outline on the suit. Once they've set up for a few minutes, place the pocket on the suit, and hold it in place with a flat, heavy object (I used a cookie sheet with a phone book and a 12 lb lead weight). When it's dry, you're ready to go.

If you want a faster drying time, mix the Aquaseal with Cotol.

You may want to either wear the suit while gluing it on, or at least stretch the legs of the suit, because wetsuits usually stretch a bit to go around your leg. If you glue a pocket to it unstretched, it could (depending on the design) either tear off, or prevent the suit from stretching and then not fit you well.

I wouldn't count on velcro to hold the pocket in place. Glue is better.

A wetsuit repair place can probably sew the pockets on, which is the most secure way of doing it. It's the most expensive, way, too, unfortunately.

I spent the money to have pockets put on my wetsuit, and LOVE them. Wetsuits wear out, however, and it's going to a sad thing when I have to get rid of the suit, after putting the extra money into it.

I'm a converted fan of x-shorts. If you can still find some (I got two pair a few months ago), they're going to save you a lot of $$$ over adding sewn on pockets. Just as functional, plus you can transfer them between suits.

coldsmoke:
I am considering adding pockets to my wet suit. I am thinking of making them removable with velcro or something. Does anyone have any experience with attaching something to a wet suit. Will some sort of glue work or must it be sewed first? Thanks.

Lok here http://www.deepseasupply.com/page26.html

Our neprene backed pocket for wetsuits is unique. The backing or surface that ataches to the wetsuit is oversized, i.e. larger than the pocket, by about 1 inch all around. For wetsuits the recommended attachment is to glue down the outer ~1/2 and have a wetsuit fabricator blind stitch down the perimeter of the pocket.

When your suit dies you can trim off the 1/2" and move the pocket to the next suit.

The neoprene backing also allows the pocket to stretch with the suit. Even so a bit of Pre stretching when glueing is a good idea. A couple sheets of heavy card board shoved down the leg works pretty well.

Good luck,

Tobin

It's always nice to use glue that stretches as much as the material its put on, one reason not to use AquaSeal. Seal Cement is my choice.
You can always get a pair of BDU shorts to wear over the wetsuit, LOTS of pockets then.

Another commercial diver trick, it ain't pretty but it's pretty effective...
Cut pocket to size, (Bigger than you want everything is clumsy underwater), Grab some aqua seal a heave stitching needle, needle nosed pliers and quality dental floss,
decide where bottom of pocket will be punch 1 or 2 holes and place brass or stainless grommets for drainage, glue pocket loosely where you want it with aquaseal, stitch edges taut but not tightly, cover edge seams and floss inside and out with aquaseal, dont let glue on inside contact other parts of wetsuit.

Finally add a flap stitching velcro in the same fashion.

K.I.S.S.
Keep it Simple Stupid!

good luck

Rainer:
I'm a converted fan of x-shorts. If you can still find some (I got two pair a few months ago), they're going to save you a lot of $$$ over adding sewn on pockets. Just as functional, plus you can transfer them between suits.

Im not familiar with these. What are they. superman shorts you wear over the wetsuit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom